St Martin in the Fields High School for Girls
St. Martin-in-the-Fields High School for Girls was founded in 1699 thus in 1999 we celebrated our tercentenary. In the mid-17th century, our church St. Martin-in-the-Fields and the SPCK (Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge) were headed by radical thinkers who believed that a school should be provided to educate the girls of the parish. At that time, the general view was that only boys needed a formal education.
For many years, the school was based in Charing Cross Road, close to our founding church. In this century, however, it was felt that a larger building with extensive grounds and playing fields was necessary, so in 1928 the School moved to its present home in Tulse Hill. It was officially opened by the Duchess of York, who is now the Queen Mother. Though we are now geographically separated, we maintain strong links with the church in Trafalgar Square.
Today, over three hundred years later, St. Martin’s is a fully comprehensive Voluntary Aided High School with Technology College status, committed to serving our local multi-ethnic community.