We have an exciting opportunity for a hardworking, energetic and innovative Teacher of History to join our highly successful team of mutually supportive colleagues whose shared purpose is to inspire and challenge all pupils at Atlantic Academy. The successful candidate will be someone who is able to deliver inspiring and exciting learning experiences to learners embarking on a career in the 21st century/ keen to innovate and inspire history students using innovative methods, experiential learning and multimedia to bring the subject to life.
You will be part of a successful, supportive, well resourced and fully qualified Humanities team and will deliver History lessons across the secondary phase at Atlantic. We encourage best practice through a variety CPD opportunities. The department is led by the Subject Co-ordinator for Humanities with the Deputy Subject Co-ordinator as the Head of History. The successful candidate will be part of a small and successful team . At Atlantic Academy, our History curriculum is compulsory until students finish Year 9. Students are taught by passionate, expert teachers who are committed to securing progress both in terms of academic achievement and global awareness and understanding. We strive to spark a life-long interest in History within our students and our curriculum is full of opportunities for specialist teachers to immerse students in challenging content and literature to enhance all students’ cultural capital as well as their historical knowledge. The department currently follows the AQA GCSE syllabuses with the options of Germany, the Cold War in Asia, Health and the People and Norman England at key stage 4 .
WHY CHOOSE US
Atlantic Academy is an all-through school based in Portland. We offer on-site parking. We are set in a stunning rural location by the sea. We are fortunate to live in a location steeped in History: the Jurassic Coast’s and the many fossils that can be found on our beaches, Portland’s Maritime past and the links from Portland Castle to Henry VIII and the Napoleonic Wars, the strategic importance of Weymouth’s Fleet lagoon to the bouncing bomb and the launching of the D-Day Landings from Weymouth and Portland. Our students have a wonderful opportunity to learn about and from the world on their doorstep. We are looking for a History teacher with a commitment to an exceptionally high quality, knowledge based curriculum who will challenge and inspire a love for History in our students. Students have a genuine love of History, and we have excellent up-take at GCSE. .
This position will provide an exciting and challenging opportunity for an NQT or ambitious practitioner wishing to further develop their career, to build upon the existing track record of success within History and make a real impact on further driving up attainment and progress in humanities
WHAT WE OFFER
- Salary MPS
- Effective PPA allocation to allow for a better work/life balance
- Pension Scheme
- Feedback policy NOT marking policy, allowing for whole class feedback, using a visualiser. Saving hours from NOT having to write personalised comments in every exercise book
- Collaborative planning, centralised shared units of work – carved out planning time
- No written end of year reports – data report 3 times per year
- Homework is standardised to Knowledge Organiser – Practice books, and reading. Removing any marking expectations and detentions set and run centrally by SLT
- Expectation of disruption free learning, high SLT visibility ALL day, focus on students. Allowing staff to teach without low level disruption
- Visualiser and mini iPad in every classroom – allowing for booklets, feedback, student work etc to be projected – as the teacher decides
- Very clear and transparent sanctions – all detentions centralised and run by SLT each day. Allowing staff to focus on what really matters – the classroom
- Delivery of KS3 and 4 level history to mixed ability classes of around 30 students
- Work alongside the head of History to create a stimulating and engaging curriculum
- Formative and summative assessment with bespoke planning to challenge and enthuse every learner
- If you believe that this may sound like the school for you would thrive in, are ambitious for all students, then here is information specifically about the vacancy:
YOU WILL HAVE:
- High standards and expectations for learning for all students, irrespective of ability.
- A real passion for History and its importance in the lives of our future politicians, strategists and citizens.
- Qualified to degree level or more in HIstory
- Qualified by PGCE, BEd or equivalent
- Ability to plan, maintain and develop outstanding teaching and learning.
- A high level of ICT skills and experience of using these in the classroom to enhance learning.
- A commitment to all students receiving and outstanding education experience.
Find out more about this exciting opportunity by visiting our career page or school website.
Interviews to take place on Friday 21st May 2021
Atlantic Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.