The Beacon School has an exciting opportunity for a passionate mathematician to work as an Academic Mentor, to inspire young people to be better at maths and to help address gaps in their learning as a result of Covid-19.
Based in a mixed comprehensive school setting, you will join a team of maths teachers, who are subject specialists, driven to help our students achieve the best they can.
In conjunction with the teacher, you will be expected to plan, develop and implement strategies, which contribute towards effective learning, engagement and achievement.
In this diverse role you will:
• Support within maths lessons alongside a teacher
• Tutor maths in a 1:1 or group setting
• Be available to students on a drop-in basis in their breaks
• Lead small group revision sessions
• Contribute to the development of resources which support learning
• Be an active member of the maths team
• Offer additional support for those shielding or not in school
What we are looking for:
• A well-qualified mathematician
• Able to mentor across all key stages
• Passionate about maths and committed to improving student outcomes
• Forward thinking, creative, receptive to change and able to work with the team
• A detailed knowledge of the curriculum and its means of delivery
• The ability to work towards deadlines
• Right to work in the UK
In addition, the following skills will be essential:
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to listen and communicate well
• High level of assertiveness and resilience
• A non-judgmental approach
• Ability to relate to young people and act as a role model
Whether you are a recent graduate, retired teacher or are considering a career change, this role is ideal for those wanting to support young people at a time of unprecedented need.
Why choose us
Based in Banstead, Surrey, The Beacon School is rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted and is part of the thriving GLF Schools Multi-Academy Trust. Our core purpose is to strive for exceptional learning – and learning & teaching is at the heart of everything we do.
Why work at The Beacon School
• You will join an exceptionally warm and welcoming staff
• Mentor students who want to learn
• Be supported by a highly experienced team in the Faculty
• Have access to an excellent programme of CPD
• Be given the opportunity to deliver CPD in the Faculty and across the whole school
• Have the opportunity to be coached or become a coach
• Collaborate and develop your career alongside other colleagues from across the 41 GLF Schools
• There is a large range of extra-curricular activities and visits to be involved with
• There is a strong and supportive staff body with a number of staff social events
• There is the opportunity to support students across all of the key stages
• We proudly serve our local community and are once again, oversubscribed with student applicants
• We are conveniently located within easy reach of Epsom, Sutton and south London with excellent road networks, and only 40-minutes by train from London Victoria.
Salary: Associate 3 FTE £21,121; pro rata £15,152 per annum
Working hours: 30 hours per week, across 39 weeks of the year, 5 days per
Closing date for applications: midday on Tuesday 3rd November 2020
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Headteacher, Keith Batchelor
Thrive in a Career at GLF
GLF Schools is a dynamic, forward thinking and rapidly expanding Academy Trust with many career opportunities for new and existing staff. Each school in our Trust has its own individual identity, while benefiting from the expertise that comes from dedicated and experienced regional and Trust teams.
Our schools serve to meet the needs of its own local community yet all are united in their core purpose of providing an outstanding educational experience. GLF Schools has a generous employment offer, which allows our colleagues to Grow, Learn and Flourish.
Our offer includes:
• Continuous Professional Development
• Work life and family-friendly policies
• Flexible Working
• Staff Wellbeing
• Career Pathways and Talent Management
• Staff Benefits
• Community and Collaboration
• Valued worker scheme