Teaching Assistant Apprentice
- Start: September 2021
- Salary: £5.50 per hour (£10,611 per annum)
- Location: IKB Academy, Keynsham (near Bristol/Bath)
- Contract: Part-time 32.5 hours per week, Term time only plus 2 inset days
- Term: Fixed term
The Wellsway Multi Academy Trust (WMAT) supports the learning, social and pastoral needs of young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) from the ages of 4 to 19. The MAT presently comprises Wellsway School, Bedminster Down School, Sir Bernard Lovell Academy, IKB Academy in the Secondary phase as well as Aspire academy, an SEMH Special school. Our primary schools are Chandag Infants, Chandag Juniors, Wansdyke, Cheddar Grove, St Johns CofE, Saltford CofE, The Meadows and Two Rivers CofE. Each school within our Trust retains its own unique identity and believes that all our young people deserve the very best provision.
We are looking to recruit a resilient, committed, caring and highly motivated individual to join our highly successful Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Programme.
The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support the class teacher to enhance pupils' learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress. Promoting self-belief, social inclusion and a high self-esteem play an integral part to pupils' well-being; ensuring pupils thrive in a positive, nurturing, safe environment.
It is an active role supporting the learner to access the curriculum. Teaching Assistants are good role models who act with honesty and integrity; take part in team meetings and contribute to planning and class activities. Promoting Fundamental British Values through spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and positive behaviours are crucial in contributing to improved pupil progress and development.
Alongside the practical element of the apprenticeship, the successful candidates will complete a rigorous accredited Programme of Study in conjunction with our Training Provider. All applicants will be expected to provide evidence of prior academic attainment and will be assessed against the Entry criteria before appointment.
Successful candidates will be employed on a 12-month fixed term contract. The Apprenticeship Programme is offered on a term time only basis; 32.5 hours per week.
Whilst we are unable to guarantee a permanent contract at the end of the Apprenticeship, we expect opportunities for permanent employment to become available during the term of the Apprenticeship.
Please note that some of the posts involve supporting students who present with challenging behaviour or may have complex medical needs and disabilities. Previous relevant experience in a school, caring or similar environment would be an advantage.
The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate in their application that they have:
- Achieved GCSEs, including Maths and English, Grade C or above or 4/5 (new grading), or a relevant Level 2
- A genuine interest in supporting young people; especially those with special educational needs
- The ability to build positive relationships with the class group, ensuring consistency and continuity on a daily basis
- High expectations of young people, and a commitment to raising standards of attainment to ensure that they can achieve their full educational potential
- A genuine appreciation of the potential barriers to a pupil’s learning, and sensitivity towards their circumstances and life experiences
- The emotional and physical resilience necessary when working with challenging young people with a range of special educational needs and disabilities
- A professional approach to their work and the ability to work effectively with all members of the staff team
Please note there is no age limit to access an Apprenticeship.
Closing date for applications is 11.59pm Sunday 19th September 2021.
Interviews are likely to be held soon thereafter.
Ikb Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.