Pimlico Academy has several exciting opportunities for teachers who are looking at taking on additional responsibilities such as Head of Year.
The Head of Year role is a hugely important one, not least in the opportunity it presents to shape the collective identity of a year group. At Pimlico Academy, Heads of Year accompany their year group of around 240 students on their journey through the school. This allows the Head of Year to build strong links with the student body and facilitates the fostering of close links with parents and carers of students who recognise this person as an important point of contact at the academy. Heads of Year are responsible for the overall academic performance and pastoral wellbeing of the students in the year group. They undertake this role in collaboration with the team of tutors they lead, with the Pastoral Support Leader designated to their year group and with all those who are charged with the academic progress and welfare of students.
There are currently a number of Head of Year vacancies that have become available at Pimlico Academy, including Head of Year 11 and a Sixth Form Head of Year who will take on the leadership of Year 12 in the academic year 2021-22 and then take them through to Year 13.
WHO YOU ARE
We welcome applications from teachers of all subjects but would look especially favourably on applicants who teach Science, Drama, Art, Geography or Mathematics.
The successful Head of Year is ambitious for the students in their care, resilient and able to balance competing demands on their time.. They are confident public speakers, intuitive and emotionally intelligent, and committed to the wellbeing of students. Heads of Year are also inspirational, outstanding teachers who teach their subject specialism within one of the academy’s academic departments.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
• A strong academic record with at least a 2:1 from a reputable university in your specialist subject
• Great passion for your subject with high cultural literacy to deliver sophisticated lessons and continue to raise teaching standards within your subject
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• The ambition and determination we expect from all of our staff to continue striving for excellence
• The enthusiasm and energy required to work with the children and young people in our schools
• An unwavering belief in the power of education to change lives, as per our trust’s motto, libertas per cultum (freedom through education). ]
WHO WE ARE
Pimlico Academy is a state-funded secondary academy based in the heart of Westminster, rated Outstanding by Ofsted and Future Academies’ flagship secondary.
Future Academies is a Multi-Academy Trust which includes three primary schools and six secondary schools in and around London and Hertfordshire. We are motivated by a mission of social change and reducing educational inequality. Our school and Trust are unique in our approach to a knowledge-rich curriculum; our school motto is Libertas per cultum (Freedom through education), and in our strong emphasis on raising young people’s aspirations and outcomes through the teaching of classical and traditional subjects. Our children and young people study a bespoke curriculum developed by researchers at our Curriculum Centre, which places a focus on developing their cultural literacy and their awareness of the forces, words and events that have shaped our society today.
• The chance to make a difference to children’s and young people’s lives. Future Academies is of the belief that all children have the right to enriching education through a knowledge-rich and child-centric approach: our teachers can therefore make a dramatic impact on the lives of these children.
• Fast career progression. Because knowledge and intelligence, rather than length of service, are lauded and rewarded at Future Academies, teachers and support staff can quickly take up great responsibility, adding to their already exceptional experience and knowledge, joining the SLT or writing for the Trust’s Curriculum Centre, where our in-house textbooks are produced.
• Excellent CPD. The Trust is knowledge-centric and encourages CPD at all levels with excellent opportunities for swift career progression, within the Academy and Trust. This includes Leadership Development opportunities.
• Knowledge-rich staff team. You will be working with a supportive leadership team, cohesive staff body, and very purposeful environment with excellent resources. Being part of a Trust of schools enables you to share knowledge across a wider range of educational professionals.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying to the post of Teacher with Head of Year responsibilities at Pimlico Academy, please click on “Fast Apply” to complete an online application form. Deadline for applications is Friday 18th June.
Future Academies reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the advert closing date.