Head of English
Salary: Leadership Scale L9 to L13 - £52,160 - £57,556
Start date: 1st January, 2022
Closing Date: 31/10/21
Interview Date: TBC
We require a talented and enthusiastic Head of English to join Holcombe Grammar School. The successful candidate will oversee our English department, as well as other senior responsibilities.
Holcombe Grammar School delivers an inspiring curriculum…appropriately adapted to the needs, abilities and interests of all pupils. A range of extra-curricular activities further promotes personal development and welfare– Ofsted 2018
Holcombe Grammar School is part of The Thinking Schools Academy Trust. We are a selective 11-18 boys’ school with a large and growing mixed Sixth Form. At Holcombe Grammar School our aim is that students develop into successful, well rounded, confident young people who are equipped with the academic and life skills necessary to thrive in the modern world.
Every individual at Holcombe Grammar School is encouraged to achieve their personal best and there is an emphasis on celebrating student progress as well as outright attainment. At the heart of the school is our MET agenda – Mastery, Endeavour, Thinking. By using the ‘Thinking’ skills that are developed from Year 7, and through constant ‘Endeavour’, our students go on to develop ‘Mastery’ of their studies. Whilst many students go on to achieve places at Oxford, Cambridge and other Russell Group universities, we celebrate the achievements of all students. The vast majority of our students go on to top universities at the end of the Sixth Form.
We can offer you:
- Revised Leadership Payscale to retain and reward excellent teachers
- Outstanding CPD tailored to you, wherever you are in your career
- The opportunity to work with happy, determined and well-behaved children who are excited about learning, and work with parents who are supportive of our school values and ethos.
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding teaching and learning through resources, mentoring and school visits
- Access to the New Horizons Teaching Alliance, offering a wide range of robust and innovatory development resources and expertise
- Reduced membership of a fully-equipped fitness suite and classes – located on the site of Holcombe Grammar School
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas
- Onsite parking free of charge
We are looking to recruit a talented and enthusiastic Head of English. The ideal candidate will:
- Be a qualified teacher
- Be able to deliver consistently good or outstanding practice
- Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum
- Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating English.
- Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subjects
- Be able to motivate his/her pupils
- Be committed to high standards for both staff and students
- Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy
- Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching English.
- To implement and support all Academy policies.
- To collaborate with other leaders and managers in maintaining high standards within the curriculum to Good and Outstanding including all student groups.
- To maintain high standards of teaching, learning and progress to ensure all subject staff deliver and all students receive Good and Outstanding lessons.
- To coach and mentor subject staff to maintain standards in learning and progress to be Good and Outstanding.
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working at our small and friendly school, benefitting from a supportive network of colleagues across our Trust, and are keen to progress your career then please apply today!
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We strongly encourage any teachers who may be interested in working at our school to contact Wendy Tanner to arrange an informal conversation about the role with our hiring manager.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
This School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS disclosures at enhanced levels and Children’s Barred List check will be required prior to any offer of employment