ATTENDANCE AND HOME LIAISON OFFICER
Permanent /Term Time + all inset days
37 hours per week, Monday to Friday; 8am-4pm (3.30pm finish on Fridays)
(including a daily 30 min unpaid break)
Actual Starting Salary: £20,158 p.a.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a thriving 11–18 Academy serving primarily the students of Lancing, Sompting and West Shoreham, though we welcome students from all surrounding areas. We are committed to ensuring that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and professional Attendance and Home Liaison Officer to join us as soon as possible. This is a key school role at the heart of working with our students and their families to develop home/school partnerships, remove barriers to learning and promote positive attitudes towards school and education. It is a demanding yet rewarding role and requires someone with the right knowledge, skills and experience, together with an engaging personality and the confidence and ability to motivate and quickly gain the respect of others.
The successful candidate will:-
● be sensitive, caring and determined to make a difference
● be comfortable working independently using their own initiative or as part of a team;
● have excellent interpersonal skills to both support and challenge families;
● have the confidence and resilience to tackle persistent absenteeism with rigour to
ensure excellent attendance of students across the school;
● have the skills and confidence to develop positive relationships with as well as challenge hard to reach families
● be able to encourage identified students and/or families to enter into a mutually-beneficial partnership with the school, using a range of strategies to address barriers to learning;
● ideally have recent and successful experience of working with hard to reach families
and other agencies;
● be able to build up a body of good practice which can be shared with others;
● possess excellent organisation, administration, communication and IT skills (Arbor would be advantageous);
● have a full and valid UK driving licence with own transport and be prepared to visit families alone to open up channels to discuss support, training and other needs for individual families.
The Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate and rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a supportive team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, this may be the place for you.
Sir Robert Woodard Academy staff benefit from the following:-
• employee assistance programme and onsite wellbeing support
• a modern and spacious working environment;
• strong and supportive collegial relationships;
• the opportunity for professional growth and development;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last Ofsted report, Feb 2018:
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in July 2021 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers are ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers and colleagues
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
Commitment to safeguarding and equal opportunities
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to safeguarding and vetting checks, including references. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a criminal record self-declaration form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check, therefore individuals on the children’s barred list (and adults barred list where relevant) should not apply. There is a six month probation period for all post-holders.
The Academy is also committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Closing date: 30 September 2021*
*Please note we reserve the right to interview and to close the advert at any time before the deadline date, should an appointment be made. If you are interested then you are advised to apply early.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.