The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham.
Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential. We believe that students succeed when the environment is caring and orderly, with teaching that fires the imagination and brings learning to life.
We have an exciting career opportunity from September 2021, for a talented and enthusiastic Geography specialist, who is passionate about delivering an inspiring Geography education. The successful applicant will be an excellent classroom teacher, with strong subject knowledge and the ability to drive the progress of all students in the subject. QTS is essential and NQTs are welcome to apply. The Geography department is currently expanding with the prominence of the subject in the EBACC and we are looking to expand our geography offer to students in the coming years.
The department is housed in our modern building with state of the art technology in every classroom. Lessons are designed to encourage independence and a lifelong love of geography, where the units are diverse and aim to encapsulate the awe and wonder of our changing environment. The Humanities team as a whole is firmly established and has a collaborative ethos built around sharing best practice and discussing the latest research. They have been praised for inspirational teaching and leading initiatives in active learning. The Academy enjoys strong links with local universities that we are keen to develop through supporting trainee teachers.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in July 2020 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers are ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, then this may be the place for you.
Students and staff at SRWA are lucky enough to benefit from a purpose built school with outstanding facilities. As well as a reputation for excellent work in STEM and links to RICARDO, we are also known for our superb performing arts offering and are home to the Sussex Bears Basketball Academy which brings superb sporting expertise.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good or outstanding teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful training for NQTs).
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
Closing date: Sunday, 18 April 2021.
Interviews are likely to be held on either Thursday 22 April or Friday 23 April.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.