Due to department restructuring we are looking to appoint a Senior technician to our team.
Candidates for the Senior post would need to be experienced school technicians with a desire to line manage and grow a technicians’ team in a busy science department supporting all sciences at KS3 and KS4.
The role involves supporting the science department in the delivery of practical science lessons, specific duties differ from term to term but will include:
- Preparing, cleaning and maintaining necessary solutions and equipment for practical lessons
- Delivery and collection of practical resources to teaching laboratories in a timely manner
- Regular maintenance tasks within the prep room and laboratories
- Liaising with staff over equipment and safety issues
- Running trials of experiments
- Leading/assisting with demonstrations in lessons (after training)
- Inventory and stock taking duties
- Portable appliance testing (after training)
- Supporting the overall work of the Science Department including some administrative tasks
- Prep room management including distribution of workload and over sight of administration (budget management, policy writing, maintaining key records)
- Line management of other members of the technician team
- Oversight of health and safety, COSHH and SYC matters for the department, including running departmental training in health & safety.
- Training of new technicians within the department
- Support of the training of new teachers in practical methods, under direction of the head of science and acting as advisory to the head of department in these matters
You will need: 5 GCSEs at A*-C or equivalent, including English and Maths and a good level of computer literacy for either role. The Senior role requires previous experience as a school science technician and a good working knowledge of health and safety in the workplace and COSHH.
The role requires individuals with flexibility and the capacity to react to the changing demands of a dynamic science department. Posts are TTO + inset days.
Salary: WAT Band E, pt 10 - 14, £18,577 - £20,109 (full time equivalent £21,695 - £23,484)
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.