The Oriel English Faculty
INNOVATIVE, MOTIVATED AND SUCCESSFUL
The Oriel English team currently consists of 11 full-time and 2 part-time teachers, many of whom are post-holders within the department and across the school. We are lucky to have 10 purpose built full size English classrooms all with interactive whiteboard, projector and teacher’s PC, along with a dedicated English Resource Room which offers a communal workspace for English teachers. Additionally smaller seminar rooms are available for Sixth Form lessons and Key Stage 3 students have regular lessons in our spacious and welcoming library. The English teachers at Oriel aim to provide every student in our care with the opportunity to engage with interesting and challenging texts and concepts as well as equipping them with the language and skills that will pavethe way for a successful future. We work closely with other Faculties in the school to ensure that skills, knowledge and vocabulary are widely transferable and consistent.
Our curriculum is broad and diverse, offering a lot of opportunity to tailor your teaching to your own expertise and the needs of your students. Our approach to teaching interleaves the necessary skills with establishing a passion and enthusiasm for the subject beyond the classroom. Our team is committed to ensuring that every student is successful in English, allowing them to access a greater world of opportunities.
We are looking to appoint someone:
• To teach English across the age and ability range in accordance with the requirements of a professionally qualified teacher.
• To support the teaching and learning in the department through resource and curriculum development.
• To support the development and improvement of teaching and learning in the department by promoting outstanding practice and facilitating impactful CPD and mentoring of ITT. and ECT (Early Career Teachers). ?
• Support the Head of Department to motivate the team and lead by example.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach English Language and Literature across the age and ability range in such a way as to challenge and inspire all students, with clear objectives, delivered in line with department schemes of work and school policies.
- Plan and deliver lessons to students according to their educational needs and with reference to prior attainment, SEN and EAL as required, striving to ensure equal opportunities for all and no gaps in achievement between particular groups.
- Assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of students in line with school policies, ensuring that marking and assessment are of consistently high quality.
- Set high expectations for students and develop their behaviour for learning through focused teaching and through the development of positive and productive relationships.
- Promote enrichment and extension of English across the department, participating and developing events, trips and visits.
- Support the HOF with resource and curriculum development to promote best possible progress for every student in English.
- Support teaching and learning within English through CPD, mentoring and curriculum development.
- Take a full role in the pastoral system of the school, by being a tutor and a member of staff well known to the community of students.
- Embrace and contribute to the continued professional development programme within the school, striving to be a lifelong learner, maximising opportunities to make impact within the role.
- Be familiar with, fully support and reinforce the aims, ethos, policies and procedures of the school with students, staff, parents and other stakeholders where and when appropriate.
We would welcome applications from teachers who would like to grow and develop an innovative and forward thinking department. Oriel is committed to career-long teacher development and uses effective CPD to achieve this.
West Sussex County Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Oriel High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants for this post must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including reference checks with previous employers and a criminal record check with the Criminal Records Bureau.