The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, an Ofsted ‘good’ rated academy and part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
The Academy, which has a long-established and strong reputation for excellence in the Performing Arts, is currently seeking to appoint a Dance Teacher on a Part Time basis (3 days a week, Wednesday to Friday) on a temporary contract. This is a maternity cover to start mid-January 2024 and will continue for one calendar year, or until the colleague returns (if earlier). QTS essential and ECTs are welcome to apply.
The dance department sits within performing arts and is taught throughout KS3. We also offer GCSE at KS4, and the RSL Level 3 Diploma at KS5, with exam results consistently in-line with or above national average. We offer a range of extra-curricular opportunities, including clubs, trips and an annual Dance show, as well as other collaborative productions with music and drama. Our facilities are excellent, and include two purpose built dance studios.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• free employee assistance programme, dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• cycle to work scheme.
• free flu vaccinations.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, October 2021: Rating of “Good” in all areas:
“The culture at this school is summed up by its motto, ‘Aspire to Achieve’. From Year 7 through to the sixth form, pupils learn to think ambitiously about their futures.”
"The school is a calm and orderly place for pupils to learn….Pupils treat each other with respect … low-level disruption is rare."
"Pupils, parents and carers feel proud of their school…one parent told us ‘we are really impressed with the school, the ethos and the staff’.”
A Staff Well-being survey in June 2023 revealed our staff consider these areas ‘outstanding’:
Staff morale, workload and job satisfaction
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution
Opportunities for staff to develop.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure consistently high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of students aged 11-18 (or of successful completion of initial teacher training if applying as an ECT).
Closing date: Sunday 26th November 2023*
*Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to interview and, if necessary, withdraw the advertisement before the closing date, should a strong candidate come forward.
Visits to the Academy are welcomed.
Safeguarding Statement and Commitment to Equality of Opportunity
Woodard Academies Trust and SRWA are together committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to safeguarding and vetting checks, including the receipt of two satisfactory references and a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a criminal record self-declaration form and to consent to an online check. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS Check, therefore individuals on the children’s barred list (and adults barred list where relevant) should not apply. There is a six-month probation period for all post-holders.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.