The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our committed and dedicated team of SEND staff from January 2021 on a fixed term contract (21 months duration) as an Apprentice Teaching Assistant. We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented individual who can provide efficient support to teachers whilst motivating students to engage with their learning. Alongside the classroom role, 20% of the 37 weekly contracted working hours will be allocated to training for a nationally-recognised Level 3 Teaching Assistant qualification, delivered by Academies Enterprise Trust. This is a term time role (+ all inset days), 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm (3.30pm on Fridays).
During the Apprenticeship you will be assigned a Trainer Assessor from Academies Enterprise Trust to work with you on the Apprenticeship programme. You may also be required to complete ICT Level 2 Functional Skills qualification (this will be determined by existing qualifications and will not be part of the 20% study allocation, so must be completed in your own time).
SRWA offer an Enhanced Apprentice Pay Rate of £6.45 per hour (actual salary circa £10,000 per annum) (well over the National Minimum Wage of £4.15p.h.) from the start of the Apprenticeship programme, irrespective of age; those aged 19 or over will receive a higher hourly rate in line with National Minimum Wage after 12 months. The fixed term contract is 21 months duration, but with the potential for a permanent role on successful completion subject to availability for an exceptional candidate.
This is an important role working closely with young people and a fantastic opportunity for someone with the right skills and qualities to make a real difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students, whilst gaining a valuable qualification at the same time.
SRWA staff benefit from the following:-
• proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive induction and CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
These were some of the areas Staff considered to be ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
Please read the Job Description and Person Specification carefully. Only those candidates who have clearly demonstrated in their application that they meet all of the essential requirements in the Person Specification will be eligible to be considered for shortlisting.
The successful candidate will:-
• have recent and relevant experience of working with children/young people, preferably with SEND
• evidence 5 recent GCSE passes at least 4/5 (old grade C) including English and Maths
• have well developed IT skills and be comfortable working with technology
• be a team player, who understands the importance of this role in supporting teaching and learning
• be well-organised with high professional and personal standards
• be able to establish good working relationships with students, staff and carers
• have a positive ‘can do’ approach
• have an understanding of safeguarding procedures and the need for confidentiality.
Closing date: 3/01/2021
Interviews: ASAP thereafter
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.