The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
September 2021 sees further student growth for the Academy; as such, we have some exciting new vacancies available, including the need for a Music Teacher (QTS essential) with a passion for the subject.
We are looking for a vibrant, dynamic and talented musician able to inspire in our students a love of music, to join our highly successful performing arts team. You will need to have a strong knowledge and understanding of a wide range of musical genres, from the classics through to contemporary. Someone with music technical knowledge would have an advantage, as this is an area we would like to expand. The ability to teach across KS3 and KS4 is essential, KS5 preferred.
The Academy is purpose built with outstanding facilities, including dedicated music and recording studios and sound proof practice rooms. We are known for our superb performing arts offering. Our students benefit from an exciting extra-curricular programme, producing many collaborative shows and projects with the performing arts team, as well as an annual tour to different locations within Europe. We are therefore looking for a strong team player keen to make a contribution and able to run extra-curricular groups, such as choir and orchestra.
This is an incredible opportunity to join an excellent performing arts team who are enthusiastic and passionate about what they do and are very excited about the future outcomes of their students.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in July 2020 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers are ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, then this may be the place for you.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure consistently high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful completion of initial teacher training if applying as an NQT).
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Closing date: 20 January 2021
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.