Animal Care Technician
Up to £19,900 pro rata’d
18.5 hours a week, permanent role
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Technician to support our Animal Care centre. If you are passionate about caring for animals and the odd spider, this could be the role for you. Our ideal candidate will be confident to provide high standards of care to a broad range of animals working with peers and learners to ensure their good health and wellbeing
We are incredibly excited about progressing a merger with New College, Swindon from August 2020 which will extend the opportunities for both our learners and staff cohort. It’s a great time to join us!
In this role you’ll do:
• General husbandry, including feeding, watering, preparation, cleaning and changing of cages,
• Help, advise and assist students during their training and whilst carrying out practical activities with the animals, and
• Maintain detailed, accurate records regarding breeding, health, welfare and environmental checks.
Qualifications and Experience required:
• Level 3 qualification in related field or the ability to work toward this,
• The ability to communicate sensitively and assertively with a diverse rage or learners,
• Level 2 English and Maths (or equivalent) or a commitment to gain within 24 months, and
• A genuine interest in the care of animals
About Swindon College
Our top priority is the wellbeing of our community. We are monitoring the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and are continuing to follow the latest Government advice. To keep everyone as safe as possible, we have adjusted our recruitment process so all face-to-face interviews or assessments will now be conducted via conference video.
We will undertake an initial screening interview with you to help explain the role, our campus and to assess your potential fit.
Please be aware that initially, in the main this role will require some working from home but we’ll make sure you stay connected through and beyond your induction, via regular video team meetings, sessions with your mentor or learning coach and access to any support you may need from day one.
• Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
• 33 days annual leave (inclusive of all discretionary and bank holidays) pro rata
• Training and development support in your role
• Wellbeing and Lifestyle support including access to our market leading Employee Benefits Platform,
• (Post Lockdown) On-site parking and subsidised restaurants, Costa & Starbucks!
Closing date: 19th June 2020
An Application Form must be submitted if you wish to be considered for this post. Please note this vacancy may close sooner if sufficient applications have been received so please apply as soon as possible.
Swindon College is committed to embedding a culture which values diversity and ensures equality of opportunity. We take our safeguarding responsibilities seriously and promote the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff, applicants and customers to share this commitment.
This role is likely to involve working with under 18’s and/or vulnerable adults. Any appointment will be made subject to strict vetting and screening checks and our receipt of a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Swindon College is committed to the advancement of Equality of Opportunity (ensuring everyone is treated fairly), the elimination of discrimination and the safeguarding and welfare of children and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We welcome applications from all sections of the community