We are looking to appoint a caretaker/grounds person to join our site team at Atlantic Academy. This role is for 30 hours per week, 52 weeks per year at £9.00 per hour.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB:
To undertake general maintenance of the buildings, facilities and grounds and to assist in maintaining the security of the school buildings. To make sure the facilities are available for hire outside of normal school hours.
The caretaker/grounds person carries out Estate maintenance, grounds works & preparation of sports surfaces. This will be primarily based at Atlantic Academy, but may also involve some work at any of the Launceston College Multi Academy Trust sites. The School reserves the right to transfer between the sites.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To act as joint key holder for the site, ensuring security at all times including the operation of alarms.
• To report any major defects in building, equipment and security systems observed in the course of duties and to liaise with the Site Supervisor.
• To undertake maintenance and painting of premises, fixtures and fittings as necessary in a timely manner.
• To assist with the day to day needs of the school working closely with the Principal/Assistant Principal to deliver set ups for lessons, assemblies, etc.
• To assist in the collection and disposal of all refuse and ensure the school buildings and grounds are free from graffiti. To ensure, in winter especially, that access roads, pavements, steps and playgrounds are safe for use at all times.
• To undertake emergency cleaning of drains and toilets.
• To undertake the efficient operation of the heating system ensuring it’s good working order.
• To record and monitor gas/electricity/water (as applicable) meter readings/returns as required by the Authority.
• To take deliveries of stores, materials and other goods and to undertake porterage duties as required.
• To maintain records and complete paperwork as required.
• To drive the school minibus as directed.
• To assist in the general maintenance/upkeep of the college minibuses.
• To assist with building works, ie to repair or rebuild stone walls, erect studwork, partition’s and board.
• Pressure washing.
• Grass cutting, pitch marking.
• Pesticide spraying.
• Servicing of grounds equipment, mowers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws etc.
• Cleaning of gutters or flat roofs.
• Repair and renewal of fencing.
• Low liming of trees and hedges.
• To participate in evacuation processes as agreed and in accordance with the school’s recognised Evacuation Procedure.
• To be available to open/secure the building for pre-arranged lettings on a rotational basis outside of normal school hours, either as part of normal working hours or on a casual overtime basis.
• To be aware of and adhere to applicable rules, regulations, legislation and procedures e.g. County Council (Equal Opportunities Policy/Code of Conduct) and national legislation (Health and Safety, Data Protection).
• To maintain confidentiality of information acquired in the course of undertaking duties for the School.
• To be responsible for your own continuing self-development, undertaking training as appropriate.
• There is no guaranteed overtime (we respond to emergencies as and when they happen).
• Permanent contract offered subject to six month probationary period being carried out satisfactorily.
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided and is to be worn appropriately (boots, hat overalls etc.)
• Training provided for anything we ask you to do unless you provide a current valid certificate.
• The job is predominantly based on one site but you will also be required to work across the MAT on occasions if needed.
• To undertake other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required.
The post holder may be reasonably required to perform duties other than those given in the job description for the post. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to posts may vary from time to time without changing the character of the duties or the level of the responsibility entailed.
Atlantic Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.