Post Title: Class Teacher - Ysgol Bryn Derw ASD Special School
Post Ref: NCC7153
Grade: TMS, M2 – UPS 3 & SEN, £27,018 - £41,604
Closing Date: 27 September 2021
Permanent Teachers Required For: January 2022
Ysgol Bryn Derw are seeking to appoint an inspirational teacher for a unique opportunity to teach in a growing school (opened September 2017) that received Excellent ratings in 4 out of 5 Estyn Inspection Areas in March 2020. Ysgol Bryn Derw supports the provision of education for 83 children aged from 3 years to 19 years who have been diagnosed with ASD, also present with additional complex needs such as severe learning difficulties or highly challenging behaviour and require a specialised environment. The school aims to provide the highest possible standards of education and support for all its pupils regardless of their level of educational need, and is equipped with a range of specialised facilities including a Rebound Therapy room, sensory rooms, a Touch Therapy room, soft play areas, an Independent Living Skills room and an allotment area.
The Governing Body is looking to appoint one teacher with experience of working with pupils with ASD and a knowledge of strategies to support communication for people with ASD and of supporting challenging behaviour. All staff at Ysgol Bryn Derw receive a significant CPD offer, recent training has included Team Teach, Intensive Interaction, Attention Autism and PECS. You will be someone who is passionate and highly motivated to achieve the best outcomes for the young people at the school and have the vision to create an outstanding educational environment. If you are looking for a new challenge within the SEN sector, and are committed to making a difference for young people with ASD then this opportunity could be for you!
The Governing Body are committed to appointing a Teacher who:
- Has a genuine commitment and enthusiasm for teaching and learning
- Has a track record in delivering successful outcomes for students
- Has knowledge of ASD specific strategies including TEACCH and PECS
- Has confidence and determination along with excellent organisational skills
- Is forward thinking, imaginative and visionary, and able to develop a caring, nurturing learning environment.
- Is able to build a relationship of mutual respect with the pupils, parents, staff and the Governing Body
- Will develop our commitment to working positively with parents, carers, the local authority and outside agencies
- Shares specialist best practice with other specialist and mainstream settings and outside agencies
- Demonstrates and promotes excellence, equality and high expectations for all
- Has excellent organisational and communication skills
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and a comprehensive screening process will be undertaken on all applicants. This will include an enhanced check with the Disclosure and Barring Service.
THIS POST REQUIRES YOU TO BE REGISTERED WITH THE EWC.
If you require further information about this post or wish to visit the School, please contact the Acting Deputy Teacher.
We are legally obliged to ask you to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. If you are invited to interview, you will be asked to provide appropriate documents such as your full birth certificate/passport/work permit in accordance with the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996.
Closing Date for Applications: Monday, 27th September 2021
Shortlisting: Tuesday, 28th September 2021
Interviews provisionally scheduled for Tuesday, 5th October 2021
To find out more about working for Newport City Council and to apply, visit our website.
Newport City Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.