Clerk to Governors
Hours: 90 hours per annum
Filton Avenue Nursery School and Children’s Centre is located in Horfield, Bristol and serves a rich, diverse local community. We provide high quality Early Years education for children aged 2–4 years, and a comprehensive range of family support services for the local community. We are a friendly, professional, supportive team who are committed to achieving the highest standards for our children and families.
A good clerk makes a great deal of difference to the effectiveness of any governing body. Clerks who are clear about their role, well-organised and knowledgeable about the legal framework help to create a professional environment where governors are empowered to fulfil their responsibilities.
Purpose of the Job
To provide effective administrative support, procedural and legislative advice to the governing body.
Key Job Outcomes
1. Provide effective administrative support to the governing body.
- Respond to a range of enquiries both written and verbal, either directly or in more complex cases refer to the chair.
- Prepare draft documents, letters and maintain spreadsheets (e.g. records, inventories) and databases (e.g. governors records) to ensure information is kept up to date.
- Ensure secure handling of confidential data and information to comply with Council Policy and the General Data Protection Regulations.
2. Organise and co-ordinate the information flow.
- Liaise with chair, headteacher and other members of the governing body to agree a calendar of dates for governing body meetings and prepare an agenda which takes account of DfE, LA and church authority issues.
- Make notes at governing body meetings for the preparation of minutes and, under the direction of the chair, ensure that all decisions are recorded accurately and objectively, including timescales for actions.
- Under the direction of the chair collate and disseminate information prior to meetings.
- Maintain a filing system to log and record all incoming and outgoing information.
3. Provide legislative and procedural advice to the governing body.
- Provide the governing body with guidance on governance legislation and procedural matters.
- Provide governors with relevant legislative information, to include a copy of the DfE Governance Handbook and associated legislation.
- Notify the governing body of changes to policy and procedure. If they do not comply with the changes the postholder must inform the LA.
- Update and maintain a database of Governor information, to include a category of governors and terms of office.
We encourage applicants not familiar with us to visit our vibrant and friendly school. Please contact the school office on 0117-377-2680 to arrange an appointment.
Filton Avenue Nursery School is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment.
An enhanced DBS check is required for the successful applicant.