Clerk to two Local Governing Bodies and sub committees
Schools: Blagdon Primary School and Federation of Bishop Sutton & Stanton Drew Primary Schools
Location: Bishop Sutton and Blagdon, North Somerset
Contract Term: Permanent
Salary: Pay Range JG5 (Scale Point 22 - 25) £20,456 - £22,434 per annum pro rata
Hours: 4 hours/week
Expires: 31 August 2020
Interview Date: TBC
Note: This position is also available for secondment by members of staff of the Lighthouse Schools Partnership.
Note: For an experienced candidate, as Clerk for Governors, we may offer an additional day (7.4 hours/week) as a Governance Professional working alongside our Chair of Trustees in the Partnership. The salary will be negotiable, depending on experience.
The Governors of Blagdon Primary School and the Federation of Bishop Sutton & Stanton Drew Primary School wish to appoint an excellent Clerk to the Local Governing Body and its sub committees. The Clerk may work in both locations, and will be accountable to the local Governing Bodies. He/she will working effectively with the Chair of Governors, Headteachers and other Governors in each of the schools. The Clerk will be responsible for advising both Governing Bodies on constitutional matters, duties, powers and procedural matters. He/she will work within the broad current legislative framework and will provide effective administrative support. The Clerk will secure the continuity of local Governing Body business and observe confidentiality requirements.
The responsibilities of the Clerk to the Local Governing Bodies and sub-committees will include among other tasks to:
- Maintain a database of names, addresses and category of Governing Body members, and their term of office;
- Attend and take minutes of 14 Governing Board meetings per year;
- Initiate a welcome pack/letter being sent to newly appointed Governors in both schools, including details of terms of office;
- Liaise with Chairs, Headteachers and other members of the governing bodies to agree a calendar of dates for all local governing body and subcommittee meetings;
- Produce a Governing Body Year Planner, which includes an annual calendar of meetings and the cycle of agenda items for meetings of the local Governing Body and its sub committees for both Schools.
- Advise the governing bodies with guidance on governance legislation, procedural issues and the Lighthouse Schools Partnership Scheme of Delegation;
- Notify the governing bodies of changes to policy and procedure.
What the Schools can offer you:
- The opportunity to work with exceptional staff teams who are committed to providing the very best opportunities for our pupils and staff
- Exceptional CPD opportunities in all areas of the curriculum
- Additional time and remuneration for leadership may be available for the right candidate.
- Friendly, conﬁdent, and enthusiastic children who enjoy learning;
- Supportive and ambitious Governors who are committed to the schools;
Blagdon Primary School and the Federation of Bishop Sutton & Stanton Drew Primary schools are members of the Lighthouse Schools Partnership. We are small rural schools in the North and North East Somerset area with a short driving distance between schools. Our sizes helps to give our schools the warm, friendly, family-feel that our families value. Education is about partnerships, and strong, committed partnerships between our schools, our parents and other local schools play a crucial role in children’s positive development into young adults.
If you visit us, you will find a calm and friendly atmosphere where pupils enjoy coming and behave well. The staff are caring, dedicated and work hard to ensure that each pupil has the support and opportunity to flourish as they progress through our schools.
We are looking for a Clerk who is:
- a person of integrity;
- able to maintain confidentiality;
- able to remain impartial;
- have a flexible approach to working hours and days;
- be sympathetic to the needs of others;
- have an openness to learning and change;
- have a positive attitude to personal development and training;
- have good interpersonal skills.
- be able to work at times convenient to the Governing Bodies, including evening meetings;
- be able to travel between our schools and to meetings;
- be available to be contacted at mutually agreed times.
Blagdon Primary School and the Federation of Bishop Sutton & Stanton Drew Primary Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all its pupils and expects all staff to share this commitment. All candidates will need to satisfy the requirements of DBS, two satisfactory references and qualifications check.
Visits to the school are warmly welcome. Please email during August to arrange an appointment. Contact details can be located within the attached 'Advertisement' document.
During Term time our telephone numbers are on our websites.
Closing date: 31 August 2020 at 11:59am
Shortlisting: 2 September 2020
Interviews: To be confirmed
Blagdon Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.