Buckswood School is seeking to appoint a dynamic, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with great organisational and inter-personal skills to coordinate and run the wide range of co-curricular activities at the school for our students. This role is a new position and requires a pro-active individual, able to work well with and draw together a variety of key departmental areas. The successful applicant must be equally at home in a pair of wellington boots as they are behind a computer!
The school runs an ambitious programme of sport, music, drama, community service, societies and outdoor activities which include the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and Young Enterprise Scheme along with trips to Africa and Georgia. It means that the planning and timetabling of the co-curriculum, and the quality and monitoring of students’ involvement, are paramount.
The successful candidate will lead and be responsible for the co-curriculum of over 350 students in the School. He or she will be responsible for the communication and implementation of co-curricular policies and procedures and the tracking of student progress in this regard.
The co-curricular coordinator is a key member of the team. They will be expected to:
- Organise a programme of events and activities to ensure a wide a range of opportunities are accessible to students throughout the School
- Timetable a balanced provision of extra-curricular activities, including weekends and after-school clubs and activities
- Oversee the provision of information for the pupils, parents and staff
- Liaise with the Deputy Principal (Pastoral) to ensure a co-ordinated, streamlined approach for the pupils and staff
- Working with the Heads of Year and boarding staff to ensure a dynamic and effective enrichment programme is available to all pupils throughout the School
- Working with colleagues to co-ordinate School events and activities throughout the year
- To ensure all staff are making a contribution to the co-curricular life of the school
- To develop community service as a central experience, especially in the Sixth Form
- To develop outreach and community relations through the student co-curriculum
- To liaise with the Director of Sport, Head of Performing Arts and all other stakeholders to ensure co-ordination between departments.
- To ensure calendaring is effective and that communication is clear between all areas of the school
- To liaise with the PR Department to ensure the school celebrates its many successes in the co-curricular area
- To organise and lead the Duke of Edinburgh Award programme and expeditions.
- To ensure that all Lower 6th students (IE2 and A Level have at least one lesson per week timetabled for co-curricular activities)
- To liaise with the accounts department to ensure accurate invoicing in regards to activities.
- To work with HR to ensure all external contractors have been recruited via Buckswood School’s safer recruitment procedures.
- To observe co-curricular activities in action regularly and report any issues/concerns to Deputy Principal of Pastoral Care
- To resolve issues related to non-attendance of a provider/student for any activity
We seek someone with ideas, the ability to put them into practice and the personal presence to persuade others of their value. Above all, the person appointed must be approachable and a good listener. They will also have energy, commitment and enthusiasm.
There will be plenty of opportunity to do new things and the chance to experience at close-hand the many facets of leadership in a school. The successful candidate is likely to have had some managerial/organisational experience. This is a non-teaching role, but the successful candidate will be expected to assist on occasion with covering of lessons and to contribute to the wider life of the school.