Communication Support Worker - Posts are Term Time Only
Bank hourly paid positions payable at £17.36 per hour
Oaklands College are looking to recruit a skilled BSL (British Sign Language) signer to support students on a variety of courses at the college.
We currently have the following hours available;
St Albans Campus
Tuesday 9:00am - 12:15pm
Wednesday 9:15am - 13:15pm
7.25 hours per week
Welwyn Garden City Campus
Tuesday 9:30am – 12:45pm / 13:45pm - 15:15pm
Thursday 9:30am - 13:30pm
8.75 hours per week
The successful candidate will be working with a variety of students who are on mainstream courses, depending on the course your hours may vary. You will be required to interpret, translate and note take for the students in a fast paced classroom setting so a level 2 qualification in BSL is essential, preferably you will be qualified up to Level 6.
To be considered for this role, applicants will need to demonstrate they hold the following;
• Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language / equivalent e.g. sign as first language
• 2 year’s general work experience of working with deaf students in schools, adult education, prisons or voluntary/charitable organisations.
• Awareness of learning difficulties associated with a hearing impairment and the social and emotional difficulties that can occur.
• Good standard of education 5 GCSE’s grade C or above or equivalent qualification (e.g. approved qualification as a CSW with Deaf people) or extensive experience
If you would like to have a chat with us before submitting your application please call through to the contact centre and ask to speak to the ILS Department.
Closing Date: Wednesday 30th September
Interview Date - TBC
WHAT WE OFFER
• Generous Salary
• Automatic entry into the Local Government pension Scheme.
• A dedicated and friendly team of professionals who are keen to develop and learn
• Excellent CPD opportunities to grow and development through mentorship and coaching
• Free onsite parking
• Subsidised onsite restaurant
• A cycle scheme and discounted gym membership.
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities, and we particularly welcome applicants who are currently under represented in our workforce. This includes but is not limited to Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates and disabled candidates.
Oaklands College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Employment is subject to an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory safeguarding checks.