Bristol, United Kingdom Full Time
Salary: £29,000 - £31,000 per annum + benefits
We are looking for an inspiring, enthusastic Computing Tutor with a background in teaching computing subjects at A-Level, BTEC or in Further Education or Higher Education to join the teaching team at our international college in Bristol. Located on UWE Bristol's main campus and operated in partnership with the UWE, Bristol, it offers programmes which prepare international students for entry to the university.
You'll be teaching international students and helping them deal with the challenges of getting ready for degree-level study at UWE Bristol. Our exciting new International Year One in Computing launches in September 2019 with the first cohort of students entering year two of either BSc Computing or BSc Forensic Computing & Security in September 2020. The average age of our students is 19.
You will work closely with the Science & Engineering Co-Ordinator and Programme Leader to ensure that high-quality programmes are delivered, and that the College meets its targets in this subject area. Please note that there are full time, part-time and sessional roles available.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
Reporting to the Programme Leader you will be responsible for:
- Teaching Computing modules to international students on International Year One programmes which aim to prepare students for entry into year two of undergraduate degrees.
- Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students
- Contributing to the design and development of Computing modules offered by the College
- Providing academic leadership for a designated number of Computing modules in the role of “Module Co-Ordinator”; this includes preparing module guides and reports and updating module-related information for an agreed suite of modules. This also includes leading and coordinating a team/teams of suitably-qualified tutors for these modules, where appropriate
- Developing, reviewing and updating course material for related modules, including module material on the virtual learning environment
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
- Providing academic learning support.
- Representing the College at appropriate events and meetings
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the Programme Leader and Academic Director
You will be enthusiastic, performance orientated with a desire for development within the role, and willingness to perform across, as well as up and down, the College structure.
You will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated and performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- A first degree in a relevant subject area, such as Computing
- Experience of teaching at A-Level or in FE or HE institutions
- Proven organisational, administrative and IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.).
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- The desire and ability to develop and update teaching material
In addition, it would be desirable for you to have:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant subject.
- A teaching qualification such as a CELTA, PGCE or PGCHE
- Experience of contributing towards the development of and working within, a Virtual Learning Environment
- The enthusiasm and motivation to be a creative team player.
- Experience of working with international students
Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Application method and closing date
If you meet the requirements of the position, are excited by the opportunity of working in a fast-paced international education environment, please send your CV along with covering letter, highlighting why you believe you are a suitable candidate, via our online application form by 10th May 2019.
Kaplan International Colleges is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.