MERTHYR TYDFIL COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL
Ynysowen Primary School
Role: Deputy Headteacher
Head Teacher: Mrs Simone Roden MBE, BA (hons) NPQH
ISR: L11 – L15 (£54,091-£59,581)
Contract: Full Time / Permanent
Start Date: Required for January 2022
Closing Date for applications : Friday 17th September at 12:00pm
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a dynamic, suitably qualified and experienced leader for the post of Deputy Head teacher at our happy and highly successful school. Ynsyowen was inspected by ESTYN in 2019 and received excellent judgements in all 5 inspection areas.
Ynysowen Primary School is in the village of Aberfan, which is situated at the southern end of Merthyr Tydfil Borough and caters for pupils aged 3 to 11. We currently have 10 mainstream classes and 1 Learning Resource Base (LRB), we also have Pupils who attend the school outside of the catchment area.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an outstanding deputy head teacher with the qualities and skills to enable our school to continue to achieve aspirational outcomes for our pupils. We need an excellent primary practitioner and inspirational leader and manager to assist the Head Teacher in building on the school’s huge successes and leading it into its next phase of development.
The successful applicant will have:
• A proven record of excellent and innovative teaching, supporting all learners
• A clear vision of what makes an excellent school
• A proven record of successfully implementing new initiatives
• Experience of leadership at a senior level
• An excellent understanding of curriculum development
• Passion and can lead by example, have high expectations of both staff and pupils
• The ability to work collaboratively with, and support the Headteacher in all aspects of the school’s work, including the capability of leading the school in the heads absence.
• The ability to work effectively with all stakeholders; Staff, Pupils, Governors, Parents and the Wider Community.
The governors will provide support for the successful candidate who will demonstrate a commitment to work closely with the Headteacher to provide high quality leadership and the best possible education for the pupils of Ynysowen Primary School.
Details of the interview process can be found below:
• Shortlisting will take place on Wednesday 22nd September. Successful applicants will be contacted.
• Visit to the school. Shortlisted candidates only, will have the opportunity to visit the school on Thursday 23rd September at 4pm.
• Lesson Observations – Week commencing 27th September. Observations will be arranged with successful candidates and carried out in Candidates own class, at their current school. (N.B. This will be within a 20 mile area from Ynysowen Primary School. Should applicants be from outside this area then arrangements will be made for a lesson to be delivered at Ynysowen Primary School. Please check with your Head Teacher that this is possible under COVID-19 arrangements.) Please note, only the candidates with successful lesson observations will proceed to the interview rounds.
• Interviews will take place on Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th October. The panel may decide to make a cut after day1.
Ynysowen Primary School is committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
Ynysowen Community Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.