1. To organise practical support for teaching DT and Science in the school.
2. To prepare and provide equipment and materials to support practical teaching and remove it safely afterwards,
3 To operate and maintain stock control of all materials to include perishables, chemicals, live animals and plants.
4. To have oversight of Health and Safety within the science preparation rooms and laboratories and technology workshops. - ensuring teachers are made aware of any possible hazards associated with equipment or chemicals including information on how to deal with accidents/spills etc.
5. To maintain apparatus and equipment, including construction and/or modification,
6. To handle and prepare chemical solutions some of which may be hazardous.
7. To take responsibility for stock maintenance, control and safekeeping.
8. To set up ICT equipment in science and deign and technology departments as required by teaching staff.
9. To test, prepare and demonstrate new experiments and assist student teachers and NQTs with practicals.
10. To clean and sterilise apparatus.
11. To maintain equipment and keep the science laboratories and technology workshops in good order.
12. To undertake small scale electrical maintenance, e.g. microscopes and power supply units, and to carry out regular safety checks.
13. To create and maintain record keeping systems including annual stock checks of equipment and chemicals.
14. To look after livestock, plants and any ongoing experiments during term time.
15. To assist with stock control of books, paper and non-specific science/DT items.
16. To arrange photocopying for the head of department.
17. Carry out administration tasks within the department as directed by the senior science technician and/or head of department.
This Job Description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks but sets out the main expectations of the School in relation to the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties.
Nunnery Wood High is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.