TEACHER OF ENGLISH (MPR/UPR)
Full time and permanent
For September 2020 or sooner
We are seeking to appoint an exceptional and inspiring Teacher of English who is
passionate about their subject and able to make a positive contribution to the learning experiences of our students. Applications from Newly Qualified Teachers or experienced teachers are encouraged and a comprehensive induction and support package would be available if appropriate.
You will be joining a highly successful and forward-thinking department in a growing school, teaching across the age and attainment range at both Key Stage 3 and 4 in an environment where students are well behaved and keen to do well.
At RMS, we are looking for a teacher who:
- Has excellent subject knowledge and strong teaching skills
- Is able to build positive relationships with all learners and is committed to
raising attainment of all students
- Will work collaboratively within the English team to contribute to the
success of the department
- Is willing to commit to extracurricular activities that add value to the
school and local community
- Is able to respond positively and creatively to the changing expectations of
In return, we can offer:
- Excellent support and fantastic opportunities for continued professional
- High priority given to staff and student wellbeing
- A dedicated and hardworking team who place students at the heart of
- Supportive families who value education and great students who want to
- A well-resourced curriculum area supported by two TLR holders and a full
- A broad, exciting and personalised curriculum with a focus on
- A full programme of trips and visits, giving you the chance to share in
making positive memories with students
- Consistently excellent student attainment and progress
We pride ourselves on our ethos and culture which promotes positive
relationships and behaviour. In our most recent Ofsted report (May 2017), inspectors observed that ‘there is a positive ethos throughout the school, which is enhanced by strong relationships between staff and pupils. Pupils conduct themselves well, and are respectful and courteous to one another. Behaviour continues to be typically exemplary’.
English is a leading department within the school and we are proud of our
outstanding record of success. This summer, 84% of our students achieved a Grade 4 or higher in English and 81% achieved a Grade 4 or higher in both English and Maths. We have high expectations of all our students and are committed to the personal and professional development of our staff.
Robert May’s School, which dates from 1694, is a high attaining and
oversubscribed 11-16 Academy school with a distinctive ethos based on the charitable principles of our founder. We are situated in a semi-rural setting in Hampshire, with good rail and road access.
We would welcome the opportunity for an informal chat or visit. Please contact
Lisa Shackleton, HR Officer on 01256-702700 for further information or to arrange a visit.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 3rd March 2020 (midday).
Interviews will take place as soon as possible afterwards.
Robert May’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the
welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check along with other relevant pre-employment checks.
Robert Mays School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.