• Do you passionately believe that all young people need to be literate to navigate the world around them?
• Can you inspire students to engage with challenging texts across time?
• Are you ambitious for yourself and others to excel?
If the answer to all three of these questions is 'yes' and you are a skilled teacher of English who is ambitious for every single child who enters your classroom, then please read on...
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the English department at Brimsham Green School. You will be joining a team of nine other very experienced English teachers. The department is well led, and leadership is distributed between the Head of Department and two Key Stage Co-ordinators.
This post is to cover maternity leave. To provide continuity of teaching, a fixed term contract will be issued from 1 January 2021 until 21 February 2021 and then a temporary contract issued from 22 February 2021 for one year, or the return of the post holder if earlier.
You will be joining a successful team at a time of curriculum innovation - be part of it! Whether NQT or experienced teacher, you will enjoy working in this supportive department where your continuing professional development is championed.
Uptake at A Level is very strong, an indicator of the engagement in learning instilled in students throughout KS3 and KS4. Brimsham Green works in partnership with two other local schools as part of Cotswold Edge, a collaborative sixth form, serving the needs of students locally. A Level Language, Literature and Film Studies are all taught.
At KS4, students study both English Literature and English Language. The KS3 curriculum prepares students for these qualifications by placing an emphasis on enjoying whole texts, and promoting a love of poetry from a range of cultures and contexts. Through developing articulate and confident readers, writers and speakers the department's goal is for all students to be able to express their thoughts about themselves and the world in which they live.
The department is well-resourced, and students' independent learning is promoted. We are a PiXL partner school and as such students have access to the PiXLit app. We have a fantastic team of knowledgeable and supportive Teaching Assistants who are embedded within the department and who support students' learning.
In return for your hard work, passion and commitment we offer:
• Bespoke CPD, whether you are an NQT or an experienced teacher - we firmly believe 'better never stops'
• A supportive team of departmental colleagues who involve themselves fully in the pastoral and social life of the school
• The opportunity to join a committed team of staff who believe that teaching is a great profession, and who challenge each other to excel
Should you decide that you would like to join the staff team here at Brimsham, challenging and supporting our enthusiastic learners, then we look forward to reading your completed application form. In addition to your application form please also include a formal letter addressing the following points (this should not exceed two sides of A4):
1. How you have successfully challenged and supported students of varying abilities to make good progress.
2. How you have successfully improved students’ literacy.
3. The role you play in facilitating students’ resilience and independence.
The closing date for this post is Monday 2 November at 9:00 a.m. If you have not heard from us by Friday 6 November then you should assume that unfortunately you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.