Experienced (or willing to learn) in teaching a broad range of English-language learners; from EAL Support to Senior School Literature.Committed to providing timely, effective, meaningful, and positive feedback to instruct next steps in student learning; making regular use of retrieval and spaced practice in lessons. Proactive in engaging student prior knowledge (in Mandarin and/or other languages) and encouraging students to transfer their learning to new and/or unfamiliar situations.
The school is the school of choice in Suzhou for Chinese parents who wish their children to gain the skills and education necessary for them to be successful in non-Chinese universities. The major destinations for all of our students is the USA and the UK. Our school is home to almost 800 students who study IGCSE and A levels. Our students ask for excellence in teaching and they work hard to achieve offers from their universities of choice.
Suzhou is known as the “Venice of the East”. It has a long and colourful history based around the waterways in the province. Much of Suzhou is designed around the lakes and canal system and it makes for wonderful walking, cycling and exercising opportunities. Suzhou is a vibrant city that with an enriching arts and performing culture that also offers many scenic areas of peace and tranquillity. The city is also one of the most multi-cultural in China and offers food and drink from all around the world.
We are looking for teachers who:
Display self-control and flexibility and nurture these skills in learners
Promote a love of learning and student wellbeing
Show professional initiative and perseverance
Get on with others and have highly developed communication skills
Are committed to internationalism and equity
Are committed to sustainability and global citizenship
Promote academic rigour and holistic learning
The successful candidate must be:
• Passionate about English and be able to inspire students to study their subject further
• Capable of delivering English knowledge to the depth required at the A2 level
• Successful in showing student progress so that students are fully prepared for external examinations at IGCSE and A level stages
• Experienced (or willing to learn) in using formative assessment in order to advance student learning
• Actively engaged in furthering their own pedagogical knowledge
• Willing to collaborate with a diverse range of teachers in order to create an engaging classroom
• Able to differentiate in order to meet the needs of all students, especially within an EAL environment
• Willing to engage in the student’s own culture (Chinese) in order to fully know your students
• Knowledgeable in the latest safeguarding systems in order to ensure student wellbeing
• Eager to fully engage with the students in their Co-curricular activities
• Adaptable in the classroom in order to make full use of educational technology to meet student needs
• Able to demonstrate that they hold the highest expectations of the students and themselves.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students and expects all applicants to share this commitment. It follows safe recruitment practices, which are aligned to the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection. We hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
All appointments are subject to an interview, identity checks, criminal record checks, successful references, as well as due visa and work permit process as required by Chinese law.