EYFS Phase Leader (Nursery, Preschool and Reception)
Full time / Permanent
Salary: M4-UPS (additional TLR to be agreed depending on experience)
This post will combine a class teaching responsibility and leadership release time.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an excellent professional who is seeking a new challenge.
We seek a driven, dynamic professional to join our team who can make a significant contribution to schools’ senior leadership team and ensure continual improvements in teaching and learning within our Nursery, Preschool and Reception classes.
You will need to be highly motivated and an experienced EYFS teacher with a demonstrable track record in improving outcomes for the children you teach. We want someone who can lead Nursery, Preschool and Reception provision and is able to engage with colleagues, build relationships and develop good practice.
As part of our team, you will believe in our school and be prepared to commit to achieving the exceptional ambitions we have for the children in our unique village community. Alongside your phase responsibility you will also lead a curriculum area and we invite candidates to share their areas of interest and strength through the application letter.
This appointment will coincide with an exclusive opportunity in the school’s journey as it has recently joined the Wessex Learning Trust and appointed a new Headteacher.
There is currently a fantastic purpose-built building for the Nursery and Preschool which provides provision for children age 2-4 years old. Future planning is in place to expand the setting and refurbish the building to offer Nursery places for children from 0 - 4 years old in September.
Your appointment will enable you to have strategic input and work with the Headteacher to design and organise the EYFS curriculum and provision going forward.
We are flexible on a start date and would consider an April or September start for the right candidate.
What you need to know about Cheddar First School
• The EYFS curriculum is strongly focussed on meeting pupils’ individual needs and ensuring all our children are interested and motivated to learn.
• Immersion in a knowledge rich curriculum inspires, motivates and expertly develops knowledge and understanding for all pupils. As a result pupils become effective communicators, inquisitive investigators, problem solvers, challengers and evaluators as they build their intra-disciplinary connections and expertise.
• We have high expectations, and every child’s ability is recognised, developed and rewarded. Clear procedures are in place to identify and meet children’s individual needs, providing extra support and new challenges where appropriate so every child makes excellent progress.
• In partnership with parents / carers and the wider community, we aim to provide a positive, secure, happy and stimulating environment which allows everyone to feel safe, confident and valued as an individual.
• We skilfully ensure pupils become knowledgeable, respectful, empathetic, responsible and motivated citizens who develop self-agency and positively contribute to the world around them.
We will employ a teacher and leader who:
• Is innovative and excited to lead learning in a range of EYFS classes.
• Has clearly demonstrated they can teach well.
• Has expertise in EYFS
• Will reflect our values in their daily teaching
• Has excellent interpersonal skills
• Responds well to feedback
• Strives to innovate alongside colleagues
• Develops a provision that will enthuse, excite and empower learners.
• Can listen and lead others with humility and integrity.
Cheddar First School is part of the Wessex Learning Trust (WLT). The Trust currently sponsors thirteen Academies. These include First schools, Middle schools and High schools.
The WLT will provide you with a hugely positive and supporting learning environment; and the opportunity to participate in both School and Trust wide professional development from a wide network of high-quality education professionals.
To apply, please complete the WLT application form, found on the website and include a letter (2 sides of A4) detailing your suitability for the post. Please email applications direct to
CVs will not be accepted. Please include an application letter of no more than two sides of A4, demonstrating your ability to meet the person specification.
Socially distanced visits to the school can be arranged by prior agreement: Please contact the school office on to arrange a tour or for a discussion with the Headteacher.
Closing date: Friday 19th February 2021 – 9am
Interviews to be held: TBC
Cheddar First School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.