Horizons College has an opening for a 0.6 Functional Skills Lecturer of English or Maths, due to the growth and development of the college.
We are looking to recruit a Functional Skills Lecturer of English or Maths to join our team, if you are patient, skilled, flexible and above all prepared and able to put the learners at the heart of all their best efforts and can develop good relationships with all learners, parents, the college and Brunel SEN Multi Academy Trust, then we would like to hear from you.
Experience working with SEN Children and Young People is advantageous.
Salary: Lecturer Scale UCU 23 - 33
Contract: Permanent (FTE = 0.6)
Please note could be Fulltime for the right candidate.
Horizons College is an independent SEN provision for learners aged 16 plus based over two campuses. We are looking for a Functional Skills Lecturer to join the team. We are one of the largest Specialist provisions in the area with more than 65 learners studying with us on a wide range of living skills and vocational courses. Our mission is to empower young people with the skills they need to be able to shape their future and be independent.
Horizons College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children/young adults and expect all staff to share this commitment. Any offer of employment will be subject to receipt of satisfactory references from previous employers and a DBS check at an Enhanced level, including the Barred lists.
Please complete the application form and return it electronically to the email address above. Please include a letter explaining how your experience to date equips you to successfully carry out the core responsibilities outlined in the job description.
CVs will not be accepted.
To support the Principal and Senior Leadership Team with providing the strategic leadership to enable Horizons College to deliver on its vision to provide challenging, relevant and innovative learning experiences, which support individual progression and preparation for adulthood. This will be in full accordance with EFA requirements and all other statutory requirements.
Leadership & Management:
• To provide examples of good and outstanding teaching practice; including preparation and planning, learning environment management and the maintenance of effective working relationships with learners and colleagues
• Acting as personal tutor to a group of learners and to provide effective pastoral care.
• To provide assignment and assessment material appropriate to each specific programme.
• To ensure effective co-ordination of curriculum involvement in all college activities
• To evaluate and assess the work of learners in relation to the curriculum criteria.
• To organise the effective deployment and direction of Learning Coaches,
within the learning environment and support the development of an effective team
• To implement agreed college policies and guidance
• To support the College Development Plan and contribute to the strategic vision of the Principal and Governors
• To participate in meetings which relate to the College’s management, curriculum,
administration or organisation
• To communicate and co-operate with specialists from outside agencies to provide an effective multi-agency service and prepare reports on the needs of individual learners
• To participate in the performance management system for the appraisal of their
own performance, or that of other staff
• To keep accurate and effective systems of administration
Achievement and Assessment of Learners:
• To set and evaluate individual termly targets and to maintain records of achievement for each learner, in consultation with colleagues
• To provide reports and assessments for each learner in accordance with college policy and for a range of audiences, including a report prior to the learner’s annual review
• To ensure that effective communication is maintained with parents/carers about their young person’s welfare, progress and participation in our college community
Quality of Teaching and Learning:
• To undertake a full-time commitment with learners who experience severe learning
difficulties, profound and multiple learning difficulties, complex needs and/or Autistic Spectrum Disorder and behavioural and social difficulties
• To ensure that there are appropriate schemes of work and effective teaching
strategies which cater for learners with a wide range of complex needs
• To provide a stimulating learning environment, where resources can be accessed appropriately by all learners
Behaviour, Safety and Care of Learners:
• Support strategies which promote high standards of behaviour
• Promote and safeguard the safety and welfare of all learners
• To maintain a safe and secure environment for learners, in accordance with the college’s behaviour policy
Closing Date: 23rd August 2019
Interview Date: W/C 26th August 2019
Horizons College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.