The post is full-time, throughout the year. The General Maintenance Operative will work as
part of the Maintenance Team and will be expected to assist with a wide range of tasks, including weekly planned tasks around the School and reactive requests from the helpdesk.
Occasionally, he/she may be required to attend special School events some of which will
require evening and weekend work given reasonable notice. The maintenance operative will work with and support the maintenance team under the supervision of the Clerk of Works. The operative will carry out tasks throughout the site and work with academics, support staff, parents and pupils; therefore it is critical that he/she is always professional and courteous. The following list is not exhaustive, but is a guideline as to the main requirements of the role.
The maintenance operative must be willing and flexible, prepared to carry out reasonable tasks not necessarily covered here.
- Assist maintenance trades as allocated by the Clerk of Works.
- Carry out general maintenance requests from the helpdesk.
- Carry out pre-planned maintenance work and tasks.
- Carry out maintenance projects as required.
- Carry out manual handling tasks including heavy lifting.
- Collect materials from suppliers as required using the maintenance van.
- Carry out portaging duties and assist with the removal and fitting of office and
- Undertake garden maintenance including tidying/weeding, planting, deadheading
flowers, watering, pruning, etc. Using strimmers, leaf blowers, cultivators, hedge trimmers etc.
- Maintain a smart appearance at all times wearing the maintenance team uniform
provided and act as an ambassador for the maintenance team
- Carry out gritting and snow clearing of footpaths etc. through the School, as
- Respond to short notice requirements, emergencies and assist others.
- Comply with Health & Safety requirements, noting that all duties must be carried
out to conform to best practice. Ensure all equipment, machinery and buildings are secure. Keep working areas clean and tidy.
- Undergo training, including Health & Safety training as required.
- To safeguard the wellbeing of children at the School, including responsibility for
reporting any child protection matters in accordance with the school policies.
Please see the Application Pack for further details.
St George's is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Criminal Records Bureau.
St George's School is an equal opportunities employer