Head of Department – Drama
Location: North West Bristol, BS10
Permanent – September 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Bristol Free School is a successful and heavily oversubscribed secondary school with a thriving Sixth Form serving the community of North West Bristol. We are a caring school with a highly qualified and committed staff, who recognise the importance of creative and challenging teaching alongside high professional standards. All staff and students are greatly valued and emphasis on student and staff wellbeing is central to our culture.
At Bristol Free School, we are committed to the young people in our care to encourage and inspire every child to fulfil their potential. We provide our students with the necessary skills to achieve academic and personal growth so they truly thrive, both socially and emotionally. We are excited to be advertising for a Subject Leader in Drama to secure progress for our students through the provision of high quality teaching and learning.
This is a critical appointment and would suit a professional who is ambitious for all students, committed to inclusion as well as continual professional development of our staff. The school has made rapid improvements since the last Ofsted inspection and we are looking for a Subject Leader who will maintain the very highest standards of teaching and learning across the department.
What we are looking for:
A leader who:
• Has a passion for Drama and someone who is able to build on the fantastic achievement of the past and take Drama forward in new and innovative ways
• Expects and demonstrates the highest standards and offers an aspirational role model for all department members
• Can enthuse our diverse range of students and see this diversity as a strength
• Has experience of narrowing the attainment gap between disadvantaged, SEND and non-disadvantaged students.
• Has some successful leadership experience in more than one school.
• Demonstrates good understanding of assessment and monitoring procedures.
• Is willing to learn and apply new techniques that contribute to high quality teaching, learning and assessment.
Being part of BFS means living our values of community, ambition and opportunity. We want our young people to leave BFS with confidence and a strong belief that they can make the best of their life chances and be positive citizens with a strong moral compass. We all have the potential to shape our school and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy.
Bristol Free School can offer you:
• A rewarding and dynamic position, valued as one that will make a lasting and positive impact on our school community
• A welcoming and inclusive working environment where well-being is central to our culture
• Career development, and CPD courses, with Trust-wide collaboration across five schools at whole school and subject level
• Being part of a forward-thinking, empowered middle leaders’ team
• Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
• Access to an Employee Wellbeing Hub
• Discounted gym membership
• Free parking onsite
BFS celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
The postholder will be required to undergo criminal, teacher status, qualification, medical and reference checks as part of the recruitment process and must be willing to participate in further training as the job requires. All staff are expected to take responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students at the School.
We are completely committed to safeguarding the welfare of our students. Those who work for us are expected to share this commitment, which will be fully tested as part of the selection process. Our policies, procedures and practices reflect our commitment to equality and diversity. Individuals will be selected for appointment based purely on their suitability for the post.