Job Title: Head of Hockey
Line Manager: Director of Sport
Key Relationships: NGBs, External Schools including Prep, Primary & Secondary, other Departments across the school, Parents & Universities
The Head of each major Sport has overall responsibility for developing, directing and implementing the strategic vision for Moreton Hall in their sport. They will have responsibility for player and coach development throughout the school (Years 3 – 13) and oversee the effective administration of the school sport programme.
Degree or equivalent, PGCE/QTS preferred.
Coaching Hockey at School level up to U19, Coaching at Club, County, Regional level is desirable and/or having played at a high level would be advantageous. P.E. teaching across the schools’ age range and ability to also teach a range of sports, ideally Cricket and hold NGB qualifications in a variety of sports would be desirable.
Excellent verbal and listening skills, setting high standards for students. Ability to work as a team member and to use own initiative. Strong organisational, planning and evaluative skills. Excellent ICT prof iciency, organised and resourceful.
Contemporary methods in sports coaching, and able to derive the very best performance from teams. Developing a Hockey Curriculum suited to all levels of ability. Safeguarding and child protection procedures,
particularly as applied to a sports coaching environment.
Personal Competencies / Qualities
An excellent professional role model. Willingness to work with partner schools, both primary and secondary, and strong belief in the value of such community work. Patience, resilience, commitment, tolerance and a good sense of humour. Ability to manage multiple competing demands on time whilst remaining calm and exuding positivity. A natural respect of the individuality and dignity of those in our care. An ability and energy to engage with and enthuse children and young adults. Show commitment to equality of opportunity at all times and have due respect for the diverse make up of colleagues and those in our care.
Coaching, Development and Performance
• Meet the requirements of the general teaching job description.
• To ensure that Moreton Hall Sport is successful.
• Define annual targets for performance and development in their Sport.
• Enhance Moreton Hall’s reputation as a leading independent school through its success in fixtures and competitions, and the attitudes and behaviour of its pupils. Instil the values, disciplines and behaviours that are expected of a Moreton Hall sports-person.
• Lead and direct all aspects of Sport specific coaching, development and performance.
• To develop and implement the coaching framework from Years 3 – 13. Ensure the coaching framework enables students of all abilities to develop their skills & match awareness.
• Develop, implement and annually review Programmes of Study and Schemes of Work for their sport.
• Ensure that all team coaches are provided with the coaching support and subject knowledge to ensure continuity and enable them to deliver high quality sessions. Enlist the assistance of and manage external coaches and players.
• To develop and nurture our gifted and talented performers with the mental and physical attributes to represent county, divisional and national squads. Promote and support suitable pupils through the county, regional and national selection process.
• To develop and increase enjoyment and participation in their Sport throughout the school; offering opportunity for School
• representation where possible (A-C teams).
• Develop close working links within the community with feeder prep schools, secondary schools, local clubs, county set ups and Academies etc.
• Identify, through consultation with feeder prep school, county and academy coaches potential sports scholars for entry to the school at key points.
• Mentor elite performers within the school – Athlete Development Programme.
• Plan and deliver off season and pre-season programmes to include skill development sessions (Years 3 – 13) & pre-season training for all squads (U10 through to 1st team level).
• To develop and implement a Strength & Conditioning Curriculum Years 7 – 13.
• Oversee and develop Moreton Hall fixtures.
• Maintain our fixture card to provide a depth & quality of fixtures from Year 3 – 13 to include sufficient number of fixtures (set target) for each year group, quality of weekend and mid- week fixtures and entry into suitable district, county and national tournaments.
• Oversee staffing and umpiring of teams/ fixtures.
• Highlight expectations of staff on games afternoons & match days.
• Ensure sports staff act as role models: appearance, punctuality, hosting, and attitude.
• Officials: liaise with appropriate Umpiring body and book umpires for matches.
Catering and Transport
Tours and Tournaments
Marketing, Reporting and Results
Moreton Hall School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.