Would you like to join us on our journey to become an outstanding school of first choice at the heart of our local community? Do you care enough to want to make a significant difference to the lives of our amazing students? If so, we would love to offer you the exciting opportunity to join our highly dedicated staff as an inspiring and highly motivated Head of House. We have an excellent professional development programme to enable you to get off to a flying start!
As Head of House you will be, first and foremost, an excellent teacher within a curriculum area with a teaching timetable of approximately 0.6. The successful candidate will have a great opportunity to enhance the quality of teaching and learning within the faculty and to contribute to our rich and varied extra-curricular programme. In addition, you will be a member of a high performing pastoral team, taking responsibility for one of our four Houses, leading a team of tutors and around 185 students from Years 7-11. You will be responsible for ensuring that students receive high quality pastoral care enabling them to make excellent progress and achieve the highest academic standards.
We are a rapidly improving school, as recognised by Ofsted in November 2018, with good leadership and management and an excellent behaviour policy. In our school students are ready to learn and ‘low level disruption is rare’. We pride ourselves on being an ‘academy of opportunity’ for all with excellent relationships between staff and students. As a member of staff you will be highly valued and will be supported to flourish within the academy.
For the past 3 years our examination results have improved in all areas, however, we aspire to be outstanding and still have a way to go to achieve our ambitious targets.
Every member of staff receives bespoke support and development through our in-house coaching programme as well as additional professional development opportunities to promote further progress and career enhancement. We are committed to challenging, supporting and developing staff and students to ‘Aspire to Greatness’ so that we become the best that we can be. In a recent survey 100% of staff said they were proud to be a member of staff at The Dorcan Academy with 96% stating that they enjoy working here. 96% said that they support the vision of the academy.
Although we don’t boast a shiny new building, we do have excellent facilities, with a supportive, friendly school culture and ethos which is often commented upon by visitors.
The Dorcan Academy is an 11-16 academy situated on the eastern edge of Swindon with a comprehensive, challenging and enriching curriculum and a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities. Our vision comprises 5 key outcomes:
1) Exceptional achievement for every student.
2) High quality teaching that inspires and engages minds through an exciting and creative curriculum.
3) An inclusive school where everyone is valued, cared for and nurtured in an extraordinary way.
4) Equipping students to stand out as model citizens, aspiring to make a difference to the lives of others through their exemplary behaviour and attitudes
5) High levels of wellbeing enabling all members of the school community to flourish
6) All stakeholders share a culture and vision to strive towards outstanding in all areas
In addition, we promote five core values of Belonging, Purpose, Aspiration, Perseverance
and Achievement and the personal qualities of Justice, Honesty, Integrity, Confidence,
Responsibility, Independence and Respect.
We will offer you:
• A supportive and bespoke staff induction programme
• High quality professional development, including an additional £1000 Bursary to support your CPD if you are an Early Careers teacher (Years 2 – 4)
• Additional non-contact time if you are an Early careers teacher or NQT
• Unrivalled support from the leadership team
• Excellent specialist facilities and resources
• Committed staff who ‘go the extra mile’
• Motivated, enthusiastic students who are ready and eager to learn
• Cycle to work scheme
Closing date: Monday 10 February 2020 at noon
Pay Scale: Main Pay Scale or Upper Pay Scale plus TLR 2C (currently £6,828 per annum)
Start Date: 1 September 2020
Interviews: 13 February 2020
Permanent Contract available
The Dorcan Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.