Derwent Primary School, a member of Believe Academy Trust, is looking to appoint an outstanding individual to the post of Headteacher. The candidate is required to be forward thinking, innovative and have the ability to drive school improvement. Our school offers all our children and staff a caring, safe and encouraging environment for learning. This is an exceptional opportunity for the newly appointed Head to continue to make a difference to the children and adults within our whole community.
If you have the vision, motivation and desire to introduce new ideas as well as building on what we have achieved so far we would love to hear from you.
About the school:
- There are currently 275 pupils on roll. 220 school aged children and 55 children in the nursery provision for two, three and four year olds
- The PAN is 45 children per year group; however, the school is not yet at capacity
- Currently there are 30 children in F2. KS1 has three classes (1x Y1 and 2 x Y2), LKS2 has three classes (2 x Y3 and 1 x Y4) and UKS2 has two classes (1 x Y5 and 1 x Y6).
- 60% of the school’s current cohort receives Pupil Premium funding. 60% of nursery children qualify for the Early Years Pupil Premium
- The Senior Leadership team comprises: Headteacher a deputy headteacher, an assistant head teacher and two senior leaders
- There are 15 teachers and 10 support staff, including a safeguarding manager and school business manager. Staff retention rates are high
- 66% of the school are White British and 23% of the school pupils have English as an additional language
- Mobility is higher than national average. A large number of pupils live out of catchment and move when there is a place available in their catchment area
- Many children starting school enter below levels typical for their age: very low levels of language acquisition and personal and social development
- 13.4% of the whole school are SEND. 11% of the SEND register have an Education Health Care Plan
- Derwent Primary School is awaiting an Ofsted inspection having re-opened as an academy in June 2017.
About the Trust:
Being part of Believe Academy Trust provides access to the following:
- peer to peer networking, collaboration, challenge and support
- the security of working in a climate of shared accountability
- investment in your professional development and future career
- opportunities to contribute to the development of a growing organisation and
- access to a range of core services that enable you to focus on leading, teaching and learning.
We are looking for someone with:
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
- Senior leadership team experience
- A track record of raising educational standards
- Experience of developing, implementing and managing effective whole school systems and innovative curriculum approaches
- Capacity to recognise and build on the successes of the academy and formulate a vision for innovation and improvement
- Experience of successfully leading change and inspiring others
- Capability to make and take decisions
- Commitment to the continuation of forming strong links and partnerships with governors, staff, parents, pupils, the wider community and other schools
- Commitment to working collaboratively within the Trust organisation.
In return, we can offer:
- The opportunity to be innovative and implement your own educational approaches in supporting school improvement
- A very happy and safe working environment
- A friendly, hardworking and professional team which has high expectations of pupils
- The opportunity to join a growing, well respected and highly effective Trust that embraces each individual member schools’ identity and staff groups
- The opportunity to become an ambassador for our school whilst enhancing your skills
- A commitment to your ongoing professional development through training and mentoring mechanisms.
Closing date: Noon, 20th April 2020
Interviews - 28th April 2020
For an informal discussion with our Trust CEO, Graham Boyd or you would like to arrange a visit to see the school please see further details of how to do this in the enclosed application pack. To apply please download our application pack and application form or e-mail HR (details are available in the application pack).
All posts are subject to rigorous pre-employment vetting procedures including an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS) in accordance with Safer Recruitment in Education legislation.
Believe Academy Trust has approximately 1300 children in 3 Primary Schools currently, covering Nottingham, Nottinghamshire and Derby. Joining us, you will be part of an ambitious and innovative organisation.
- We promote the autonomy and local nature of each of our schools and we strive to be an enabling organisation
- We believe that the Trust is there to support the school in achieving its own vision
- Staff benefits such as 24/7/365 employee welfare support; salary sacrifice schemes; a staff benefits scheme that offers a host of benefits and discounts.
Derwent Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.