The Board of a UK curriculum school in Abu Dhabi are seeking to employ 2 experienced GCSE English teachers to join the team for January 2020 or, ideally, as soon as possible.
Interested candidates must have at least 2 years teaching experience and hold an English based degree along with a teaching qualification such as a PGCE. The role is NOT that of a EAL teacher, although a number of the students have English as an additional language, it is to teach the English National Curriculum at IGCSE.
The school is situated in Al Shamkha City, Abu Dhabi. It is a privately owned school, which opened its doors in August 2016. It was set up to provide a high-quality British curriculum education for children in the local area. Since opening it has gained British Schools Middle East (BSME) status. The school is still very much a ‘local’ school, catering for a predominantly Emirati clientele, which now caters for the 3 – 14 age group (girls and boys). We adhere as closely as possible to the National Curriculum of England, within certain cultural and religious constraints, which will eventually culminate in IGCSE and AS & A2 level examinations. Our first round of IGCSE examinations will be in May 2021. All lessons are taught in English, apart from Arabic, Islamic Studies and UAE Social Studies, which comprise approximately 20% of lesson time, as prescribed by the Ministry of Education.
Nearly all of the students are native Arabic speakers, but English is the official language of the school. Although the students have quite a broad ability range, prospective students are admitted and placed, based on performance in English, Arabic and Mathematics placement tests. The curriculum has been brought closely in line with the ethos and pedagogy of the National Curriculum, with emphasis, for example, on independent, differentiated learning, cohesive assessment, and Assessment for Learning strategies and tracking procedures.
● graduate in English or a related subject with qualified teacher status;
● demonstrates understanding of good practice for teaching and learning;
● enthusiastic and innovative teacher with a genuine passion for teaching, who can motivate and inspire students using a variety of strategies;
● recent experience teaching GCSE / IGCSE and IB or A level;
● includes Assessment for Learning as an integral part of classroom practice;
● understands how to differentiate to meet the needs of all students;
● works as a member of a team in a collaborative manner;
● committed to her/his own professional development;
● enjoys the opportunity to participate in co-curricular activities;
● meets the school's CHILD PROTECTION and SAFEGUARDING requirements in full.
What's in it for you?
- Salary ranging from 10,000aed to 14,000aed per month tax free (approx £2100 to £2950 at current exchange rate)
- Housing allowance of 50,000aed for single status, 60,000aed for married
- Private medical insurance for employee
- Annual flights for employee
- 1 free school place for school age dependent at the school
The School is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that staff work with. As such, all posts are subject to safer recruitment practices, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. UK based appointees will be required to obtain an ICPC check whilst those joining from an international setting will require police clearance from that country of employment.