POST TITLE: Learning Assistant
DIRECTORATE: Children’s Services
SCALE: Grade 2
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE: Term time only
39 weeks per academic year (195 days)
REPORTING TO: Deputy Headteacher
MAIN PURPOSES OF ROLE:
To support the classroom teacher with their responsibility for the development and learning process by providing high quality care and education for all children, including those who have additional needs.
Candidates should be able to offer basic appropriate qualifications, i.e. CSE/GCSE. Childcare qualifications at NVQ Level 3 e.g. BTEC, NNEB, CACHE. A current first aid certificate would be desirable.
Under the direction of the class teacher or designated supervisor.
- Supervise the activities of individuals or groups of children, facilitating all areas of development for all children including those with additional needs, being mindful of maintaining a safe and secure environment.
- To assist the class teacher in the planning of work for individuals and groups of children. To prepare resources, implement, monitor and review of appropriate programmes of support for identified children.
- To observe, assess and monitor individual children’s progress, reporting individual needs to the classroom teacher as appropriate.
- To display and present children’s work.
- To prepare and organise resources for learning including the checking and maintaining of equipment and materials, ordering stock when necessary.
- To ensure that pupils are able to safely use a range of equipment and materials provided.
- To facilitate good communication between carers/parents and other adults in the child’s network, regarding the child’s support plan.
- To support pupils in partnership with outside agencies, as agreed in a support plan, attending appropriate multi-agency meetings when required.
- To be aware of and work within school policies and systems, adhering to and maintaining school routines and codes of conduct, and supporting the ethos of the school.
- To maintain confidentiality.
- To keep written records and contribute to reports, as requested, in accordance with school policies and procedures.
- To promote pupil independence in learning, and reinforcing self-esteem and confidence through praise and encouragement.
- To prepare and support children who are experiencing transitions between settings.
- To assist with the support of group activities within and away from the classroom, e.g. outside visits.
- To keep class lists e.g. off-site consent forms.
- To input pupil data into the school tracking system, as required.
- To participate in team meetings and training activities, as requested.
- To assist at an appropriate level with the provision of general care and welfare of children including:
- Assistance with the personal hygiene routines, e.g. toilet training, changing of incontinent children, dressing and undressing.
- The changing of soiled clothing including the disposal in the appropriate way.
- Assisting with children’s injuries and where qualified, administering basic first aid.
- Following consultation and agreement, to assist with the administering of medicines under the direction of the appropriate medical staff.
- To assist with the identification and monitoring of children’s general health and welfare.
- To maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job and participate in appropriate training activities.
- To supervise children at lunchtimes and run appropriate activities/lunchtime clubs.
- To undertake such other duties and training as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this post.
- To undertake health and safety duties commensurate with the post and/or as detailed in the school’s Health and Safety Policy.
Class teacher, Deputy Headteacher
Chaddesley Corbett Endowed Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.