Salary Grade: L5 - L9
Salary Band: £45,319 - £50,026
Location: John Madejski Academy
Contract Type: All Year Round
Closing Date: Friday 03 April 2020
Interview Date: To Be Confirmed
Hours: 32.5 pw
Start: September 2020
About the Opportunity
JMA is going through an exciting stage in its development and we are seeking to appoint a dynamic, inspirational Lead Practitioner to join our improving school. The last two years has seen JMA go through a great many changes with significant improvements. During this time we have seen improvements in our GCSE results and for A level we are one of the most improved providers in Berkshire. At A level there was a significant increase in top grades. We received more A and B grades than ever before and almost every student gained their first choice place at university. At GCSE, our Progress 8 score in a number of subjects has risen and overall has been on an upward trajectory over the past 3 years. Our most recent Ofsted reports recognised the many strengths of our rapidly improving school; however as an RI school we still have a long way to go to achieve our aim.
Whilst we are proud of the students’ results the school is about much more than examination outcomes. We are committed to ensuring the students are challenged to be the best they can be in a nurturing environment designed to develop well-rounded, highly-skilled, confident young people. Students are given a broad range of activities which increase the students’ cultural capital, broaden horizons and firmly teach them the difference between right and wrong. Our simple aim is to ensure our students are able to make a real difference to society when it is their time to leave.
We recognise that staff are the most valuable resource and at JMA we have a nurturing approach to professional development. We have a thorough programme of professional development catering for staff at all stages of their career. We believe that it’s our duty to ensure staff are supported to deliver the core business of high quality learning and teaching, whilst at the same time given encouragement and guidance on the next steps of their career. We are proud of our community and the ‘coaching’ culture.
Ultimately, we are, unashamedly, a caring school: the staff care for the students and similarly, staff care for each other to ensure everyone feels supported and valued.
This leadership position is open to colleagues who are current or aspirant leaders. The role requires strategic thinking and an ability to support the continued improvements at JMA and develop the core strategy at Keys stages 3 and 4. The role gives the successful applicant the opportunity to work as part of a core Leadership Team and offers preparation for progression into senior leadership.
The successful candidate will be
- A dynamic, inspirational and enthusiastic classroom practitioner with high expectations in your own classroom
- Fully committed to learning, high quality teaching and raising standards of all students
- Passionate about your subject; able to inspire and motivate students and staff
- Committed to ensuring all students reach their potential
- Able to recognise opportunities and face challenges, whilst maintaining your sense of humour and care for young people
- Capable of promoting partnerships and collaborative working
- A role model for our students and staff
More detail can be found in the supporting job description attached. Visits to the school are most welcome, please contact the school on 0118-937-0200 to book an appointment. Please see our school website to learn more about us!
We Can Offer You
- A good school and a highly supportive Senior Leadership Team
- An opportunity to develop your leadership skills with an eye towards further leadership
- A well-resourced, hard-working and supportive team
- Excellent care and support for all staff
- Comprehensive induction and on-going opportunities for Professional Development
- A positive and stimulating learning environment which values the contribution of all staff
- Enthusiastic students, willing to learn
Are you looking to move into the area?
It's an exciting prospect to be moving into Reading or neighbouring Berkshire areas. To help you with your search whether you are looking to buy or rent, Right Move has the latest on properties for you to consider!
We know that your role requires you to put a lot of time and effort into it and because of this we believe you should be rewarded. As a White Horse Federation employee you will have access to benefits listed below.
Some benefits are accessible by all staff irrespective of their contract type (T). Some are only eligible to permanent (P) employees following a successful probation period as noted:
- Car Purchase scheme (P)
- Reward Gateway discounts (P&T)
- Cashback healthcare plan (P)
- Discounted gym membership scheme (P&T)
- Hire purchase Cycle to Work scheme (P)
- Free and confidential advice, information and counselling service (P&T)
- Excellent Pension scheme (P&T)
John Madejski Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.