Lead Practitioner of Mathematics
Start Date: September 2020
Closing Date: Monday 8th June 2020
We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, an expanding family of primary and secondary schools within the Portsmouth area The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is in the top 10 Multi-Academy Trusts for KS4 progress.
We are a successful and growing school currently going through a period of expansion. In order to support our continued growth we are looking to expand our team of creative, supportive and dynamic staff by appointing an inspirational Lead Practitioner of Mathematics, who will lead on Key Stage 4 mathematics and numeracy opportunities across the school’s curriculum.
The Portsmouth Academy has achieved the status of Advanced Thinking School after receiving full accreditation from the University of Exeter in 2020. We are keen to grow the culture of coaching even further over the coming year and have created a Teaching and Learning Drive team, to build on the already excellent practice seen across the school, using TSAT’s own ‘7 Principles of Thinking and Learning’. The successful candidate would play a key role within this drive team, improving T&L across the school.
This position is a great opportunity for the right candidate to step into a new position, very much focused on the core business of what we do – teaching and learning.
The good behaviour of our students, and collegiate atmosphere amongst staff, makes the Academy a wonderful place to work.
“The staff have just been the most outstanding, supportive and resilient people I have ever worked with. No problem is too small for them, and they will drop anything to support you, personally and professionally.
Lots of schools say it, but here, we really mean it. TPA is a family. One I will not be leaving for a very long time. “ L Hudson – Head of Department
What we can offer you:
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has recently undergone major refurbishment including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• Teachers are provided with well above 10% PPA, with an emphasis on joint planning within this time.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• We offer the NPQ suite and our own ‘Think Ahead’ middle leader’s programme.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• We work closely with The Portsmouth Education Partnership, Teach Portsmouth and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance.
• The Trust holds regular CPD events and Curriculum Leaders are currently working on an exciting Year 5-8 curriculum with our Trust junior schools.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a qualified and highly experienced Mathematics Teacher.
• Be able to consistently deliver good or outstanding practice.
• Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum.
• Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Maths and Key Stage 4.
• Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject.
• Be able to motivate his/her students.
• Be committed to high standards for both staff and students.
• To work alongside the Associate Leader for Maths to help identify areas of development for Numeracy across the curriculum.
• Be prepared to implement and support all Academy policies.
• Commit to ensure that the standards of teaching and learning across the Maths department are good or outstanding.
• Collaborate with other leaders and managers in raising standards within the curriculum to good or outstanding, including all student groups.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The Portsmouth Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.