Learning Support Assistant (Sutton)
available from Sep 2020, 1 year fixed-term contract
Salary: £16,000.00 - £21,000.00 (Dependent on skills/experience), term time only
Eagle House School is an independent co-educational day provision for students between the ages of 11 and 19, providing secondary and further education for students who have an autistic spectrum disorder. We recognise that successful learning for our students is achieved through positive experiences and we strive to create a school day that is motivating, rewarding and purposeful for each young person.
• To carry out all duties, as directed by the class teachers to maximise learning opportunities for all children and young people
• To act as key worker for up to two pupils
• On occasions, to work across the school in different classes as required by SLT
• To work in partnership with colleagues and other professionals to meet the social, emotional, education, health and mental health needs of the children, young people and yourself
• To recognise that people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) can present difficult to manage challenging behaviour, and occasionally necessitates having to physically intervene or remove pupils/students from potentially difficult or hazardous situations in line with their agreed behaviour management programmes and Eagle House Group physical intervention policies. All staff working with pupils/students undertake Team Teach training and these are the only techniques permitted to be used.
• To ensure that all pupils/students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
• To undertake relevant training programmes as and when required by the School
• To follow all policies, procedures and guidelines of Eagle House School
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
• A high level of Maths and English
• A good understanding of ASD
• A passion for supporting young people to help them manage the barriers presented by their ASD
• An ability to work as part of a team and to use their initiative to support and implement the Eagle House approach to helping pupils who have a range of needs associated with having autism
• Previous experience of working with pupils with ASD within a school environment, including knowledge of strategies and teaching approaches specific to young people with autism (desirable).
WHAT WE OFFER:
• Term-time hours
• The opportunity of working within a supportive, friendly environment in this well run and respected school
• Good opportunities for personal and career development
• Pension Scheme
• Employee benefits such as free access to employee assistance programme, life assurance and retail discounts
• Access to gym on site and personal trainer
Hours in this role will be 35.75 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 8.15 am – 4.00 pm and Friday 8.15 am – 3.30 pm with a 30 minute lunch break each day.
Eagle House Group is committed to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people and expects all of its employees to share this commitment. This post is exempt under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced check by the Disclosure & Barring Service.
Stowford College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.