The Primary Phase of William Hulme’s Grammar School (WHGS) is one of the most over-subscribed primary schools in Manchester. We have an excellent reputation and high aspirations for all of our children (approx. 500), who enjoy a diverse curriculum and are equipped with the skills that will help them to become responsible members of the local and global community. “In the primary phase, there was an ‘electric’ atmosphere in many classrooms. This is because teachers plan the curriculum effectively and pupils enjoy their learning” (Ofsted, May 2019).
Reporting to the Primary Phase Headteacher, an opportunity has arisen for a Teaching Assistant (Level 3) to join the Primary Phase Team, where the duties will include:-
- Assisting with the educational and social development of pupils under the direction and guidance of the class teacher, including delivering specific parts of the curriculum or structured interventions to groups of pupils if required, and assessing pupils’ progress and reporting it to the class teacher.
- Planning and delivering whole class teaching cover, for example, during a teacher’s PPA or to cover sickness absence
- Undertaking marking of pupils’ work and invigilation/tests as required
- Assisting with the implementation of Individual Education Programmes for individual pupils and helping to monitor their progress, including attending relevant meetings such as statutory reviews.
- Working with other professionals, such as speech therapists and occupational therapists, as necessary.
- Assisting class teachers with maintaining student records, including observations and assessments.
- Supporting individual pupils with emotional or behavioural problems and help develop their social skills.
- Administrative duties such as preparing and presenting displays of pupils’ work, photocopying and other tasks to support teaching and learning.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about working with children. You will be patient, caring, supportive and willing to work with a committed staff team. Experience of supporting SEN children and working with groups of children, would be an advantage. The ability to work and communicate well with parents is essential for this post.
You will have:
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant qualification or higher
- At least 3 years’ experience in supporting children’s learning in a Primary school setting
- Good numeracy and literacy
- Ability to communicate well with colleagues and parents
- Ability to work well within a supportive teamwork structure
- Ability to take direction but be prepared to take initiative when required
- Creativity and imagination showing an ability to adapt teaching styles to the needs of pupils
- Sound ICT skills
- Natural authority
Please note, this is a full time, term time only role, and the salary has been pro rata'd accordingly. The actual salary will be from £17,167 to £18,842 per annum.
William Hulme's Grammar School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.