TEACHER OF MATHEMATICS
To join Wanhui World Academy’s International Section. The International Section is committed to developing a reputation as a forward thinking centre of excellence.
• Be suitably qualified with a specialist qualification
• Be able to work flexibly with a team of international specialist staff
• Be able to teach iGCSE and A Level courses across the ability range
• Show evidence of commitment to their own learning development
• Inspire pupils to overcome barriers to learning e.g. EAL
• Be able to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and outside agencies
• Be aware of local legislation and implications
• Have excellent organisational and ICT skills
To carry out the professional duties of a teacher of Mathematics, with lead responsibility for Mathematics in the International Section of the School (Years 10-12/UK Years 11-13), in accordance with the School's policies.
Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks
• Developing a reputation for excellence and innovation in this specialist field.
• Ensuring teaching and learning are characterised by high expectations.
• Demonstrating thorough curriculum knowledge.
• Providing clear structures for lessons, maintaining pace, motivation and challenge.
• Setting clear targets for students which build on prior attainment.
• Embracing the individual needs of each student, ensuring that all acquire knowledge, skills and understanding.
• Supporting, encouraging and boosting individual students and their self-esteem.
• Developing students’ metacognition, learning skills and ICT skills.
• Maintaining discipline in accordance with the School’s procedures and encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, standards of work and homework.
• Undertaking assessment of students as required by examination bodies and School procedures.
• Making effective use of the data resulting from regular internal assessment.
• Ensuring records of student progress are kept systematically.
• Assessing how well learning objectives have been achieved, monitoring strengths and weaknesses in order to inform planning and improve specific aspects of teaching.
• Participating in the School’s system of reporting to parents.
• Evaluating own teaching and learning regularly to improve effectiveness.
• Selecting appropriate learning resources.
• Organising educational visits linked to the subject as appropriate.
• Actively contributing to the development of IT teaching.
• Promoting Mathematics as a subject.
• Keeping abreast of developments in the subject domain.
• Participating in professional development.
• Ensuring all Health and Safety guidelines are implemented and relevant Risk Assessments are carried out.
• Being a Form Tutor to an assigned group of students.
• Promoting the general progress and well-being of individual students and of the Form Tutor Group as a whole.
• Liaising with the Vice-Principal to ensure the implementation of the School's pastoral system.
• Registering students, accompanying them to assemblies, workshops etc., as required, and encouraging their full attendance at all lessons and their active participation in other aspects of School life.
• Alerting appropriate staff to problems experienced by students and making recommendations as to how these might be resolved;
• Contributing to the School’s extra-curricular programme.
Other Professional Requirements
• Operating at all times within the stated policies and practices of the School.
• Establishing effective working relationships and being an excellent role model to students.
• Co-operating with staff from the Chinese sections of the School to the benefit of the School
and the students.
• Contributing to the corporate life of the School through effective participation in meetings
and the management systems necessary to coordinate the effective operation of the School.
• Taking part in marketing and liaison activities such as Open Evenings, Parents Evenings and
other local events.
• Liaising effectively with parents and governors.
This post calls for a high level of commitment and considerable energy. It is an exciting opportunity to develop professionally, and to be part of an entirely new school. The successful candidate will be expected to play a full part in the life of this boarding school.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Accommodation and meals will be provided. New purpose-built staff apartments have been built on campus.
Removal expenses and an annual travel allowance will be provided.
Health insurance will be provided.
Wanhui Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment, as such you are required to attend necessary child protection training. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and DBS clearance.
Wanhui World Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.