Sheen Mount Primary School is an extremely friendly 3-form entry primary school with a well-deserved reputation for excellence in learning. The school is looking for a motivated candidate to undertake caretaking and DIY duties during the time that our main split-shift caretaker is off-duty. The school has beautiful outdoor play and learning areas consisting of a field surrounded by mature trees, a couple of playgrounds and multi-use game areas. The building complex is composed of constructions ranging in age from the 1950s to 2016. It houses 21 classrooms, a computer suite, library, school kitchen, group rooms, two halls, a staffroom and a range of smaller offices and groups rooms. The school has a swimming pool, which is due to be covered shortly, but its maintenance falls outside of the scope of the caretaker’s job.
Sheen Mount Primary School is committed to safeguarding and to promoting the welfare of all children; we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check will therefore be required.
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is Monday, September 23rd, 2019 at 5PM. Interviews will be held on Friday, July 27th, 2019.
Visits to the school are highly recommended.
If you require any further details please contact the school office.
• To ensure that the school grounds, buildings and facilities are in the best possible condition to provide an effective and safe learning environment and a welcoming place to learn, work and play.
• To provide caretaking support to the school when the split-shift caretaker is off duty.
• To contribute to high levels of health and safety for all at the school by undertaking the required checks and keeping accurate records.
Main duties and responsibilities:
As part-time caretaker you will report into the School Business Manager and take on the mid-day shift not covered by the existing split-shift caretaker for all caretaking duties
Providing a service to the whole school:
• Clearing litter, rubbish and leaves from hard surface areas
• Bagging and removing rubbish from internal areas.
• Help teaching staff put up displays at height
• Moving furniture and equipment as required
• Ensuring deliveries are taken to the specific departments and stored
• Setting up and removing the hall partition
• Setting out and removing tables and chairs for assemblies, meetings and lunch
• Undertaking basic health and safety checks
• Painting and undertaking minor repairs
• Basic field / grounds maintenance
• Occasional general cleaning as required, including a mid-day toilet facilities check and incident (e.g. toilet accidents, illness) clearing as and when required.
• Mid-day roll and hand towel replenishment, soap refill if required
• Notifying the SBM of larger repair works and working with the caretaker and SBM to arrange for their repair by an external company.
• Receiving external maintenance contractors and, in collaboration with the caretaker and/or SBM, providing them guidance on type and location of repair / maintenance requirement.
• Undertaking any other duties in line with the general level of responsibility of the post
1. Reliable, trustworthy
2. Punctual, excellent attendance record
3. Clear oral communication, ability to read instructions and write basic instructions in English
4. Sense of ownership and ability to take responsibility for the task at hand
5. Interest in and knowledge of at least a few areas of basic DIY (carpentry, plumbing) to undertake minor repairs
6. Commitment to ensuring health and safety, especially as it relates to the facilities of the school
7. Can-do attitude
8. Ability to stay calm when issues arise
9. Ability to work as part of the caretaking and admin team.
10. Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
11. Able to understand and respect the importance of confidentiality, both within and outside the workplace
12. Aware of Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity
13. Desirable: ability to use email and general computer skills for e.g. online ordering or logging of information
Sheen Mount Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All appointments are subject to an enhanced DBS check.