The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential. We believe that students succeed when the environment is caring and orderly, with teaching that fires the imagination and brings learning to life.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and inspirational Teacher of Psychology, able to challenge and bring out the best in every student, to join us on a permanent, part time basis from September 2020 (minimum 0.4FTE). The successful candidate will have thorough subject knowledge and be comfortable teaching at A Level. Psychology is a popular A level choice for students at this Academy; the department is housed in our modern building with state of the art technology in every classroom.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
- a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
- the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
- proven student progress;
- excellent student behaviour;
- an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
- strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
- dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
- free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
- free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
- childcare voucher scheme;
- cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
- These were some of the areas Staff considered to be ‘outstanding’:
- Staff morale
- Job satisfaction,
- Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
- Opportunities for staff professional development
- Support from line managers,
- Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
- Induction of new staff
- Students' respect for staff/others.
Students and staff at SRWA are lucky enough to benefit from a purpose built school with outstanding facilities. As well as a reputation for excellent work in STEM we are also known for our superb performing arts offering and are home to the Sussex Bears Basketball Academy which brings superb sporting expertise.
The successful candidate will:-
- demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
- be able to interest, encourage and engage students
- provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
- use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
- use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
- make effective use of their time
- secure high standards of behaviour from students
- be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 16-18 students.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Trust is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.