An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our school team for 35 hours per week
The Caretaker’s role is to ensure that the School premises are safe, clean and secure for pupils and staff at all times. The role does require some knowledge of plumbing and electrical work as basic maintenance and repairs would be expected to be carried out by the Caretaker.
The Caretaker is responsible to the Head teacher, Governors and the Operations Manager (line manager) for a high level of maintenance of the buildings and site, (including certain technical and administration duties), to ensure their most cost effective use, and to contribute towards the Governing Body’s objectives of achieving greater value for money.
Key deliverables include:
The Caretaker will be responsible for the maintenance of a clean, safe, warm and secure environment at the school.
Duties are varied but will include:
• Security of the school site and key holder
• DIY repairs and maintenance
• Liaising with and monitoring quality of work of contractors
• Leading a team of cleaners
• In conjunction with the Operations Manager responsibility for Health and Safety procedures
Caretaker Job Specification
• Opening the School grounds.
• Ensuring all resources are topped up each morning e.g. hand towels.
• Emptying rubbish and recycling bins.
• Check all areas of the School are clean and deal with any problems.
• Check for any required maintenance on the premises
• Manage and work alongside our 2 cleaners to ensure School premises are suitable for the next day, including cleaning the School Hall floor.
• Set up furniture in the school hall for any events that are taking place, when appropriate.
• Lock up and ensure school grounds are left in a secure situation.
Other regular tasks
• To ensure arrangements are in place for the unlocking and locking of the school each day and to be one of the team with key holding responsibilities.
• To respond to emergency call outs and respond appropriately
• To ensure alarm systems are kept in good order, regularly checked and monitored.
• Patrol the site regularly and check for hazard, damage etc and deal with the issues appropriately.
Contractors / Suppliers
• Liaising with contractors and helping where appropriate as well as overseeing the work they do to ensure that contracts are being adhered to and quality standards met.
• Negotiate best rates with contractors and service companies to ensure value for money for the school.
• Query invoices from contractors where necessary
• Assist the Head teacher with project management, from initial development of requirements to conclusion and hand-over of completed works, and assisting in developing a rolling programme of major works to improve the site facilities in a structured and planned manner.
Site Management tasks
• Meet regularly with the Operations Manager and advise on any repairs or maintenance work necessary.
• Maintaining the school grounds.
• To prioritise the programme for minor works at the school, taking into account urgent need and health and safety issues.
• Ensuring all Health and Safety requirements are adhered to, monitoring and keeping a record of all statutory tests and checking that these are kept up to date, to include: the fire alarm testing / emergency lighting / water testing / asbestos monitoring / electrical equipment testing / periodic fixed electrical testing and any other statutory jobs.
• Liaising with the Parents Association and after School clubs regarding their requirements for access to the School hall / site and the associated set up of chairs / furniture.
Lighting and Heating
• To take meter readings and provide details of these to the Operations Manager.
• Maintaining the school’s boilers, ensuring that the heating is coming on at suitable times and adjusting the settings according to the weather and temperature within school.
• Ensure as far as possible that arrangements are made to minimise the effects of any failures of heating and lighting pending their property repair.
• In conjunction with the Operations Manager to oversee the standard of cleaning throughout the buildings.
• To undertake ad-hoc cleaning as required and to clean up after spillages..
• To clean the school hall floor at the end of the school day.
• During school holidays supervise and assist the cleaners in performing a deep clean of the school premises.
• Clean the windows on the ground floor of the building.
• Order cleaning products within budget constraints.
• Ensure that deliveries of goods and materials are properly received and are delivered within the school
• Move and distribute furniture and equipment within the school
For Caretaker Person Specification see attached job description. Please note before applying this is a split shift working pattern.
Please contact Louise Anniss via the School Office should you have any questions.
Holy Family Catholic Primary School is committed to safeguarding and all appointments will be made subject to references and a DBS check.