Job Title: Science Technician - Physics
Salary: £15,221 - £15,527 pa
Hours: 37 hours per week, 39 weeks per year
Contract Details: Permanent, Full-Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
New College Swindon has gone through an exciting time of change since we merged with Swindon College to become one College. Also, with the up-and-coming development of the successful 20M bid of the Institute of Technology, opening in September 2021, which will be an inclusive centre for technical qualifications, higher apprenticeships and training for key technical roles, it’s a really great time to be joining us. These exciting changes will extend the career opportunities for both our students and staff.
About the role:
We are seeking a Science Technician to provide technical assistance to the Science team at Queens Drive campus.
What we can offer you:
When you join us, you will have access to ongoing support, training and development opportunities to further enhance your experience and skill set through our extensive CPD programme. You will have access to facilities and resources across the two campuses along with an extended support network of colleagues from a wide range of disciplines and industry backgrounds.
We know that your role requires you to put a lot of time and effort into it and because of this; we believe you should be rewarded. As a valued member of our team, in addition to a wide range of development opportunities, you will have access to a number of great benefits some of are listed below:
• Sodexo Retail Discount Scheme
• Excellent Pension scheme
• Generous Holiday Allowance
• Hire purchase Cycle to Work scheme
• Free and confidential advice, information and counselling service
Therefore, if you are looking for exciting career opportunities and to work in an expanding, dynamic and successful College, who values their staff, you have come to the right place.
In this role, you will:
• carry out the Preparation of Practical Lessons
• prepare and set out materials and equipment
• advise on their correct use, and assist with demonstrations if required
• clear down materials and equipment, checking all equipment before storage and ensuring the
• ensure correct disposal of all waste materials according to Health and Safety Regulations
• carry out maintenance and Security of Equipment
Qualifications and experience required:
• A-level or equivalent qualification in Physics or relevant experience.
• A demonstrable working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to prioritise workloads according to student and timetable deadlines
• Maintain accurate records of stocks used and available.
• Minimum of Level 2 qualification in English, Maths and ICT
• An awareness of relevant safety measures/legislation regarding experiments (COSHH)
For further information, please refer to the job description.
How to apply:
For a full list of our current opportunities go to our Career Page and click apply! If you know of friends or family who would be interested in coming to work for us please feel free to share with them and if you need more information please contact our HR team. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note an enhanced DBS check will need to be completed to the satisfaction of New College.
On appointment, you will be placed at the salary point aligned to a number of factors, which include, but are not limited to, qualifications, previous relevant experience, current salary and market forces.
Please note that this vacancy may close before the published closing date if sufficient applications are received. If you are interested in this vacancy, please do apply as soon as possible.
Closing Date: 2 December 2021
Our very top priority is your wellbeing and that of our community. Please be assured that we are monitoring the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and continuing to follow the latest Government advice and to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, further information will be provided if you are invited to an interview.
New College Swindon is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion. References will be sought on shortlisted candidates before interview and by agreement.