Science Technician required ASAP
Full Time/Term Time + all inset days & 1 week in holidays
37 hours per week: 8.00am-4.00pm Monday-Thursday (8-3.30 on Fridays)
Actual Salary range £16,838 - £17,869 per annum
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known, nurtured and provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
We are seeking a well-qualified and enthusiastic Science Technician to provide support to the Science Department, who are passionate about their subject and dedicated to providing students with excellent learning opportunities.
This role presents an exciting opportunity to provide support to both teaching staff and students in Science. The ideal candidate will have a general background in science and, ideally, previous experience of working in a laboratory and/or a school. The successful candidate will be well organised, pro-active and flexible, have good attention to detail and be able to work independently and at times under pressure. Working as part of the Science department, you will prepare lesson apparatus and materials for staff and students, maintain, clean and test the equipment and apparatus in the Science area and provide practical assistance to staff and students during lessons, as required.
Students and staff at SRWA are lucky enough to benefit from a purpose built school with outstanding facilities and a reputation for excellent work in STEM. The Science department is housed in a modern building with state of the art technology in every classroom. Our NAWIS system (Ceiling Mounted Science Services) enables Science labs more flexible learning opportunities, whilst supporting our desire to expose students wherever possible to the exciting practical elements of lessons. The academy is partnered with a world leading company, RICARDO Engineering, which provides outstanding opportunities for our students and staff within Science and all the STEM subjects.
SRWA staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• proven student progress and excellent student behaviour;
• a dedicated staff wellbeing space with 1-1 mental health support sessions available;
• free use of the academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
These are just some of the areas staff considered to be ‘outstanding’ at SRWA:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas;
Opportunities for staff professional development;
Support from line managers;
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution;
Induction of new staff;
Students' respect for staff/others.
The successful candidate will:-
• be passionate about Science education and committed to do what is best for the students;
• be flexible, reliable and well-organised, with a positive ‘can-do’ approach;
• be a team player contributing to the work of the science department and the academy;
• enjoy working with young people and be able to guide and encourage students in lessons;
• know how to prepare science equipment correctly to enable all students to learn safely;
• make effective use of their time and be pro-active, multi-tasking as necessary;
• have a high degree of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills;
• be comfortable working under pressure, remaining calm and able to meet tight deadlines.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students in science.
Closing date: MIDDAY on Friday, 18 October 2019
Interviews: Wednesday, 23 October 2019*
*Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to interview and, if necessary, withdraw the advertisement before the closing date, should the right candidate be found. Visits to the Academy are welcomed.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
Please review the Job Description and Person Specification for the essential requirements:
We would also invite you to download and complete the Equalities Monitoring Form and send directly to the Academy. It will be separated from the application form before the shortlisting process.
Information on data protection: