Start date: September 2021
Contract: Permanent, 39 weeks per year, 37 hours per week
Salary: TSAT Grade D £21,214 - £23,876 FTE, Actual Salary £17,960 - £20,214
Closing Date: 19/09/21
Interview Date: TBC
We are seeking to appoint a Science Technician to assist our Science Department. Providing general, practical support in the science laboratories and to provide back-up to the science teaching staff.
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust has been ranked as the highest performing trust in the South East and in the top 15 academy trusts in England, out of more than 100. – 2020 DfE report
At Goodwin, we are committed to transforming the life chances of our students, ensuring that all are supported and encouraged to achieve their personal best. We deliver this through the BEST Agenda - ‘Be Your Best’ with BEST being an acronym for:
B = Brilliance, where students will be supported to be brilliant in everything they do.
E = Enrichment, where students will encounter a variety of educational opportunities outside of the classroom.
S = Society, where students will be encouraged to develop as responsible, active and informed world citizens, demonstrating mutual respect, empathy and community spirit.
T = Thinking, where students will join a global community of thinkers.
We pride ourselves on our caring and compassionate ethos, which enables our students to grow in a supportive atmosphere conductive to their development. Where students need additional support, we meet their needs through our highly effective pastoral system
Your new role:
- As Science Technician, your work will be directed by the Senior Technician and you will be responsible for general, practical support in the academy science laboratories and to provide back-up to the science teaching staff.
- Maintenance and repair of practical equipment
- Keeping up to date with health and safety requirements and developments in Science.
- Assisting with extra-curricular activities ie school trips.
What you need to succeed:
- Have demonstrable technical competence required for preparing and ordering of materials as well as maintaining machines and equipment.
- Minimum qualification of an A Level in Science or equivalent, and/or appropriate industry experience.
- Committed to supporting students
- Effective communicator both orally and in writing
- Effective ICT skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Ability to motivate and to support learning
- Previous experience working in a school environment is desirable
This is a permanent post and would potentially suit a Science graduate looking to build a career in teaching or gain valuable classroom experience before applying for a PGCE or Schools Direct course, or equally a School Science Technician looking for a change to work in a fantastic team!
What our Trust will offer you:
- The opportunity to work with happy and well-behaved children who are excited about learning and work with parents who are supportive of our school values and ethos.
- A stunning teaching environment and state of the art technology
- Outstanding CPD tailored to you, wherever you are in your career
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding teaching and learning through resources, mentoring and school visits
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working in our school, benefitting from a supportive network of teachers across our large academy and our Trust and you are keen to progress your career, then please apply today!
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We strongly encourage any teachers who may be interested in working at our school to contact Danielle Bowden to arrange an informal conversation about the role with our hiring manager.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The Goodwin Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.