Start date: ASAP
Hours: 22 hours a week, term-time only
Salary: WA4 £19,295 - £22,839 per annum (full-time equivalent salary)
We are looking for a confident and motivated individual to join our team of Science Technicians. The main purpose of this role is to support the science department, in all aspects of practical work and demonstrations. This is an exciting opportunity to work with ‘outstanding students’ (Ofsted) in a supportive, friendly and professional environment. The ideal candidate will have a good scientific knowledge and keen interest in working in a busy school environment.
Weydon School is a large, ambitious and outstanding school in an unspoilt area of Surrey within easy reach of London. The Times has recently rated Weydon School 1st across the UK for 11-16 schools, and achievements in all subject areas are exceptional. Students are respectful and responsive, and are proud to uphold the strong values of the school.
This is a part time role working 22 hours per week to be worked over 4 days with 1 day of 8.30 to 4.30. Remaining hours start/finish times can be negotiated with the applicant. This is a term-time only role (39 weeks per year).
Duties of a Science Technician
• Preparation, maintenance and storage of apparatus for demonstration, class practical and extra-curricular activities.
• General maintenance of each laboratory and preparation room, including the care of apparatus, stores, work surfaces and cleaning of sinks.
• Adhere to all aspects of Prep Room Health & Safety.
• Being aware of, and comply with the special requirements for the storage of Acids, Poisons, Flammable Substances and Radio Active Material, ensuring that all chemicals are in correct bottles and labelled.
• Make up acids and other solutions safely and accurately.
• Maintain and repair physics equipment i.e. ray boxes, lamps, power packs, stop clocks, ammeters, voltmeters etc.
• Follow all Prep Room procedures i.e. end of day, radioactivity logging, hazardous chemicals, checking electrical trolleys, items to be put out and collected.
• The construction of apparatus for demonstrations and class experiments.
• Research viability of experiments where necessary and advise technician team and teachers accordingly.
• Photocopying and filing of worksheets and resource material.
• Laboratory checks
• Other duties as directed by the Senior Technician.
WA4 £19,295 - £22,839 per annum (full-time equivalent salary). Actual Salary £10,144 – £12,007 per annum.
Staff benefits include healthcare policy, local government pension scheme, school holidays, retail discounts, free onsite parking and on-site restaurant.
Weydon School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All appointments are subject to safer recruitment procedures and an enhanced DBS check.