SEN Class Teacher
Full time permanent position
Location: The Amicus School, Fontwell, West Sussex
Salary: £25,714 - £36,961 (depending on qualifications and experience) + Pension Contribution
The Amicus School is an independent DfES registered SEN school providing therapeutic education to traumatised and vulnerable children aged between 5 - 16 years old. Our school is registered to take up to 18 children we are in the process of expanding and developing which will enable us to take up to 25 children. The children attending our school are a mixture of residential and day student placements.
Our School is part of our specialist & innovative independent children’s therapeutic community accredited by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Our psychoanalytic and group process/ relations models informs and is ingrained in our therapeutic practice, culture and environment and is used to help children to recover from their trauma and engage and progress in their learning.
We are looking for an extraordinary, dynamic, creative & committed qualified Teacher who has a genuine passion in teaching and supporting traumatised children in their education and in making a difference to their lives.
The primary tasks of our SEN Class Teachers is to;
• Deliver a high standard of therapeutic education
• Enable the children to make marked progress, development and achievements in their learning
• Provide a nurturing and understanding environment for the children
• Create a stimulating & age appropriate learning experience
This is in accordance with regulatory requirements and our model of therapeutic practice.
If you have …
• A keen interest in psychology and how to integrate and create a therapeutic approach to teaching and learning
• Experience of working with children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, including work with complex trauma
• A natural caring, empathic & resilient nature
• A passion for wanting to make a difference and in helping children to learn and achieve
…then you could be that special individual we are looking for!
This is an extremely challenging job, taking ownership for a class group within our therapeutic school to meet the needs of some of the most vulnerable children in the country. This role will require you to lead from the front, demonstrating hard work and perseverance with a determination to make a lasting and meaningful difference in the lives of children.
At Amicus, we offer…
• An enthusiastic, committed and supportive management and staff team
• Excellent opportunity for personal development and career progression
• Full Induction & extensive ongoing training – Including Diploma level
• High levels of individual Clinical and Line Management Supervision, as well a Group Clinical Supervision
• Excellent professional development in expanding knowledge and understanding in the field of working with trauma, psychoanalysis, group relations and therapeutic community principles
• A supportive, reflective & learning culture
• A fully accredited Therapeutic Community environment where staff actively support and encourage one another.
• Generous company pension scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• Staff Introduction Scheme & Staff Events
Core hours of work: 8.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday during term time (plus In-Service training days).
Own transport (or at least non-reliance on public transport) essential due to location of the School.
Amicus is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children. Applicants will therefore undergo Enhanced DBS checks and Warner interviews as part of our Safer Recruitment Process.
For further information and to apply for this post please contact Rebecca Newton - Clinical Director & School Proprietor for an application pack
The Amicus School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.