Blossom House is an Ofsted-rated “Outstanding” specialist school for children aged 3 – 19 years of age with speech, language and communication difficulties. Although many of the children have some associated difficulties such as fine motor problems or poor organisational skills, they are all within the average range of cognitive abilities.
Robin House is a specialist provision within Blossom House school for children with complex social communication disorders. Most of the students in Robin House have a diagnosis of Autism. Teaching and therapy staff in Robin House work together using a strong multi-disciplinary approach and prioritise the development of the children’s functional communication, social interaction skills and emotional well-being.
Primary SEN Teacher
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Primary SEN Teacher to join our Teaching Team in Robin House supporting children who have speech, language, Autism and other complex social communication difficulties.
The role involves teaching and delivering a differentiated primary curriculum within a maximum class size of 6 pupils, working alongside a team of Teaching Assistants, Occupational Therapists and Speech and Language Therapists.
Newly Qualified Teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) will also be considered for the role, and support will be provided.
• A supportive working environment in a newly refurbished building.
• Close to a good transport network and on-site free parking is available.
• Small class sizes and the opportunity to work 1-1 with children where possible.
• Support from an enthusiastic and dedicated team of Therapy staff and Teachers who will work alongside you in the classroom. Our Speech & Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapist, Art Therapists and Music Therapists aim to maximise each child’s potential in a nurturing and supportive environment.
• Opportunities for continued professional development.
• Competitive salaries, generous staff benefits and a friendly nurturing environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Confidence, enthusiasm and a passion for learning.
• A relevant teaching qualification.
• Experience of delivering a differentiated Primary curriculum for children with SEN.
• Excellent English skills (clear written and spoken English) along with good reading, writing and numeracy skills.
• The ability to build good working relationships with children, teachers, parents and carers.
• Experience of working with children with Special Education Needs (SEN), particularly children on the Autism Spectrum.
• Experience working with and managing challenging behaviour and supporting visual communication systems.
• The ability to manage a small group of children with complex social communication needs.
• The ability to promote positive behaviour in a nurturing environment is essential.
The role is a Full-Time, Permanent, Monday to Friday, 8.30 - 5
Annual salary: Salary competitive market rate
Closing Date: Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 10am
Applicants will need to complete an application form detailing how they meet the requirements of the person specification, along with the recruitment activity detailed.
For further information please contact Karen Telling via the main School telephone number.
This role is subject to the relevant Safeguarding checks which will include an Enhanced DBS check and right to work in the UK checks.
Blossom House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; successful applicants must be suitable to work with children and will need to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Certificate with barred list information.