Job Title : Sen Support Assistant – Linked to EHCPS
Grade : Outer London NJC SCP 2-3 (£11.20-£11.40 per hour)
Line Manager : Classteacher/SEN Teaching Assistant
Main purpose of the job
• To support identified pupils with SEND (EHCP) within the classroom and during their lunchbreak, implementing specific teaching programmes as appropriate.
• Maintenance of the highest standards of hygiene and health and safety
• To contribute to the safeguarding and protection of all pupils
None, except in the familiarisation of new members of staff or volunteers
Main responsibilities and tasks
1. General supervision within the classroom to ensure health and safety is maintained and pupil welfare needs are met.
2. To support with engagement with class learning activities or tasks specific to their needs
3. To provide support during lunchtime both in the dining room and in the playground to ensure health and safety is maintained and pupil welfare needs are met
4. To provide direct support with the implementation of any specific programmes related to meals/feeding
5. To encourage pupils to play and interact socially with other pupils
6. To provide opportunities and encouragement that assist in the development of communication and independence skills appropriate to the needs of individual pupils
7. To supervise and control pupils during their lunchtime break.
8. To encourage and support in positive play during the lunchtime
9. To prepare play/learning areas as directed.
10. To promote and support positive behaviour.
11. To take reasonable precautions whilst in charge of the children to see that they do nothing that is likely to injure themselves or others
12. In the event of any sickness to the pupils, clean the pupil and the affected area and refer the pupil to the School Welfare Assistant.
13. To ensure that the dining areas are appropriately set out and are ready for use by the children
14. To supervise the eating of lunch, maintain discipline, maintain the use of cutlery and drinking water, and encourage pupils to consume their meal without wasting time.
15. To supervise, when necessary, the returning, scraping and stacking of plates.
16. In the event of any spillage, to take necessary action immediately to avoid possible accidents.
17. To attend relevant meetings and participate in training opportunities and professional performance development as required.
18. To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager
19. The above duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required by the Headteacher to carry out appropriate duties within the context of the job, skills and grade.
IVYBRIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL – PERSON SPECIFICATION
Experience and Qualifications
• Good standard of education, (GCSE grade C and above) including English & Mathematics
• recent experience of working with young children with SEN, particularly those diagnosed with ASD
Knowledge & Skills
• Ability to maintain a high standard of personal and general cleanliness and hygiene to comply with statutory and school regulations
• An excellent professional role model (e.g. maintaining an excellent personal attendance & punctuality record)
• Highly organised and good attention to detail
• Ability to solve problems
• Ability to manage time efficiently, prioritise work
• Ability to communicate clearly
• Excellent interpersonal skills with adults and children
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to use initiative
• An understanding of and commitment to Equality of Opportunity for all
• Commitment with the aims and objectives of comprehensive & community education
• A commitment to improving standards for all (e.g. by improving levels of attendance and punctuality of pupils)
• Evidence of personal development, training and qualifications
• Willingness to take part in all relevant training and a commitment to one’s own professional development
• The capacity and enthusiasm to learn and continuously improve .
Other An excellent track record demonstrating a spotless record, free from attendance, capability, disciplinary or grievance issues or warnings.
Please note: the Supporting Statement is very important in our selection process and must show us how you feel you meet the Person Specification above, including examples of any relevant experience.
Ivybridge Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.